Help in packaging (Was: negative vote for maintainer Michael Gilbert)

Hi,

Le 05/01/2012 14:18, W. van den Akker a écrit :
> On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 10:03 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>> If you're lucky, you get a few
>> about it, ...
>
> To be a little off-topic but...

Well, this all thread is (getting) off-topic… Maybe debian-mentors would
suit better to continue this sub-thread. Reply-to set accordingly.

> I have many times offered my help to
> maintain orphaned and non-orphaned
> packages, but I was lucky when I got a response. Mostly I didnt got any.

Orphaned packages are packages without maintainer, so you can't expect
any answer. If you want to become a maintainer for some of those
packages, that will be welcome [1].

> 1: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#adopting

As Russ already pointed, even if help is mostly welcome in packaging and
other related parts (e.g. handling bugs and proposing patches to them) —
i.e. actually providing some help — most of the time, asking someone if
she wants help is doomed to fail if it implies that she needs to tutor
the helper. If you're afraid to propose some help were it might not be
welcome, just focus on the 61 RFH bugs [2] and 547 bugs tagged “help” [3].

2 : http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/help_requested
3 : http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=help

> How much I like debian, the maintainers are not very beginners friendly
> (however there are some exceptions).

A lot of documentation is available in the Debian website and packages,
it should provide all needed information to beginners, and if it's not
enough, some friendly maintainers take their time to review and help
beginners on debian-mentors (but I'm pretty sure everyone will be more
productive if beginners initially tried to answer their own questions
and review their own packages with the available documentation, and
after lurking a few days the list before asking anything: the same
questions and errors seem to come back all the time).

Regards

David