Re: Advocating Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont@free.fr> as Debian Developer

To whom it may concern:

I am hereby advocating Dominique Dumont as a Debian Developer.

In 2009, Dominique was my mentor for a Google Summer of Code project
with Debian -- it was work that was related to his Config::Model
application, of which he is both the upstream maintainer and Debian
co-maintainer (along with the rest of the Debian Perl Group).

I have also worked with Dominique as part of the Debian Perl Group on
many packages. He has been a Debian user and contributor since 2000.

In my experience, I have found Dominique to be very giving of his time.
He embraces change and works well with everyone else in the team. He
never takes the opinion that his answer is the only correct one and he
thoughtfully considers every suggestion for its merit. He is a real
professional, and while he is very well-liked in the group, I cannot
see him letting personal considerations get in the way of his ultimate
objective: to make Debian better, and to improve Open Source as whole.

That he is so giving of his time is something that speaks to his
character above all else -- despite his many other obligations (a
family, a demanding day job at a multinational software company), he
makes time to promote the Debian project as well as Open Source in
general.

Last year (2010), Dominique presented about Config::Model at FOSDEM.
This software can be leveraged to promote both a greater degree of
flexibility for developers/packagers and a better experience for users.
He's a confirmed speaker at the 2011 edition of FOSDEM and is scheduled
to give two 1-hour talks.

Through his involvement in the Debian Perl Group as well as maintainer
of Config::Model, he is already doing everything a great Debian
Developer would do (short of uploading packages himself, of course).
I have every confidence that he will continue to contribute in a
meaningful way well into the future.

Cheers,

Jonathan