Re: DM application of Steve Conklin

On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 17:48 -0500, Steve Conklin wrote:

> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer
>
> I have read the Social Contract, Debian Free Software Guidelines and
> Debian Machine Usage Policy and agree with all of them.

I am very pleased to endorse Steve's application to become a DM.  I have
worked with him on many projects (Ubuntu, Debian, and ham radio related)
and I always find him to be a pleasure to work with.  Steve is a skilled
software developer with a great deal of experience in the GNU/Linux
community.

> Currently, I am the primary maintainer for the packages d-rats, qrq, and
> xnec2c.

I have acted as Steve's packaging mentor and upload sponsor for the
packages he lists above, and can attest to his understanding of Debian
policies and his attention to technical packaging details.  His work is
always careful, well-tested, and well-documented.

> I am a kernel developer active in the Ubuntu project and have upload
> rights for the Ubuntu kernel.
> I am currently the stable kernel manager for Ubuntu.

Steve has been my mentor for Ubuntu kernel work.  As is reflected by his
position as the Ubuntu stable kernel manager, Steve has a firm
understanding of the complex kernel package set and a (very!) healthy
respect for what it means to have upload rights.

Having Steve as a DM will be of great benefit to Debian.

 -Kamal