Re: DM application of Adrian Glaubitz

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:41:12AM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 09:01:39AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
>
> > Or IOW: since when are two well maintained packages too few to become a DD or
> > DM?
>
> Adrian probably refers to: http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2010/02/msg00058.html

Yes, that was were I got my reasoning from.

> Two well maintained packages are in principle ok for becoming DD, but
> out of common sense I will have to ask how come if one maintains a
> couple of packages and they are considered ready for unsupervised
> uploads, they haven't been advocated for DM yet.

I thought that Jan Dittberner is accepted as my official advocate. Is there
any formal mistake that the explanation he has given is not regarded as
an act of advocating?

> Nothing that can't be solved by giving a good reason in the advocacy
> message of why one thinks DM is not relevant. Keeping in mind that DM is
> a very good way to acquire experience in Debian and afterwards literally
> fly through NM, so it's generally a good idea to have people be DM for a
> while before entering NM.
>
> Note that one can even be advocated for DD with no packages at all, as
> long as the advocate provides a really really really sound reason for
> it.

Ok, I should explain my motivation a little bit more. I have been using
Debian since 2002 when I started studying physics in Berlin where Debian
is used for all Linux machines. Before that, I have been using SuSELinux
since 1998 and later Knoppix before switching to Debian.

In 2004, I got a student's job as Linux system administrator at the physics
department I was studying at. I have been working there for around five
years officially and still continue to help through remote administration
on a voluntary basis.

Through this job, I have access to a large installation base of around
150 Debian machines, ranging from small desktop machines to big servers.
Over the years in this, I have gained a lot of experience with Debian
and helped smashing many bugs in various packages. Eventually, I managed
to upload my first two own packages through the sponsorship.

I really like to invest a lot of time and passion into helping to improve
Debian. And whenever I see a package in Debian which is not up-to-date
or missing, I want to help in that situation. It especially bugs me that
there a lot of RFPs/ITPs which never seem to be answered and I have an
itch just answering and processing these requests.

Without being able to upload packages myself, however, it is a very
tedious and stressful task. I have, unfortunately, made the experience
that some of my RFSs on Debian Mentors are never answered. So I sit
there, having the packages ready and lintian-clean, and see them
never get uploaded to be able to satisfy the ITPs/RFPs.

So I think being a DD would allow me to work much more efficient
when contributing in Debian. Naturally, I don't think that I have
gained enough skills and experience yet to call myself a professional
Debian developer, but I think I am on a good way to achieving that.

Adrian