Re: Advocating Andreas Gredler <jimmy@g-tec.co.at>

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 12:04:22AM +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

[...]
> I therefore fully support Jimmy's request to become a Debian
> Maintainer.

Hello Michael,

I see that Andreas only maintains two packages and he is not DM
(http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer)

Since New Maintainer is often confused with "New DM", I'd like to make
sure that this is not an advocacy for DM that somehow got mistargeted.

It is preferred that one has had some experience as DM before applying
for DD: having DM experience generally makes the NM process much
swifter.

This does not mean that we reject all applications from people who were
not DM before, but in such cases the advocate should provide a reason
(especially when advocating people who maintain few packages) for which
there is a hurry to get a DD account now, and DM (which is more
immediate to get and requires much less work) wouldn't do.

I also noticed you do not mention your experience of Andreas technical
work in Debian, and according to DDPO and the PTS you do not seem to be
his usual sponsor. You may want to have a look at:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer#step3.3AAdvocation or
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/05/msg00003.html

Ciao,

Enrico