Re: Advocating William Vera <billy@billy.com.mx>

NM Front Desk dijo [Wed, May 05, 2010 at 03:33:53AM +0000]:
> Auth-Key: nmauth8516eb5ede9276908126ac8529c71ef8
> Applicant: William Vera <billy@billy.com.mx>
>
> Why do you advocate this person? (please provide a 5-10 line summary).
>
> You are encouraged to take questions such as the following into account
> but you're not limited to answering these:
>  - How have they contributed to Debian already?
>  - What do they intend to do for Debian in the future?
>  - How do they interact with others, such as users and other developers?

I have known William for many years already - probably at least since
2005, and he was already interested in getting more into Debian.

I have not directly worked Debian-wise with William, but know him from
the Free Software activities in my country - and have talked with him
several times. I have reviewed his currently sponsored work in Debian,
and is very well kept, which speaks well about his personal abilities
and motivation. Besides general GNU/Linux promotion as the LUG leader
in Mérida, Yucatán, William currently maintains 12 packages in
Debian¹, all of them with perfect QA as of right now. He was
explaining to me his strategy towards choosing which packages to take
over: By using wnpp-alert, he learns about packages he uses and which
are orphaned.

William tells me he is trying to fix the situation where many people
have found it cool and trendy to upload a package to Debian, only to
later abandon it.

He is currently working in the security/forensic areas, and those are
the areas he shows most interest in colaborating with in Debian.

In short, I expect him to be a valuable addition to Debian.

¹ http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=billy@billy.com.mx

--
Gunnar Wolf • gwolf@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244