Re: Advocating Thomas Weber <thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com>

NM Front Desk <recommend@nm.debian.org> (14/02/2010):
> Auth-Key: nmauth26beb06a4ea1d3e618a1a4a0b37361b7
> Applicant: Thomas Weber <thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com>
>
> Why do you advocate this person? (please provide a 5-10 line summary).

<context>
When I provided some patches for octave-related packages some time
ago, I was asked by Rafael Laboissiere to join the pkg-octave team and
to subscribe to the list to give a hand more directly than through
NMUs.
</context>

While I didn't contribute much then, it was a pleasure to watch Thomas
Weber taking care of Octave packages, and it looked like he had no
troubles doing so. Since Rafael retired, it doesn't look like Octave
packages are in a bad shape[1], it even looks like all of them are
(almost) bug-free.

 1. http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=thomas.weber.mail@gmail.com

I shall note he is not afraid of asking questions[2], which is (at
least to me) a very important point.

 2. http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2010/01/msg00520.html

In addition to the nice work I've seen some months ago, I also happen
to have seen he's nicely interacting with other developers, providing
advance notices[3], including patches.

 3. http://bugs.debian.org/567875

As mentioned on -newmaint@ already[4], he's already a Debian
Maintainer, and I guess Rafael's advocation message[5] (he was still a
DD back then) could be taken into account, even if he's retired now.

 4. http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2010/02/msg00020.htm
 5. http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint/2008/03/msg00008.html

It looks to me like Thomas is very ready for the NM process.

Mraw,
KiBi.