Packaging a library -- looking for documentation

Hi,

I maintain Octave in Debian. My upstream will switch to using libtool in
the next major release (ETA of that release is unknown, but somewhen in
2010).

In order to not screw up too badly, I'm looking for documentation on
developing/packaging libraries (both from a developer's view and a
maintainer's view).

I know about the "Debian Library Packaging Guide", but #493951 indicates
that there should be something 'better' (for whatever definition of
better).

In case it matters, upstream uses C++ and Fortran.

Thanks
	Thomsa