Re: Outdated DM listing in dm_list.html.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:55:38PM +0100, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:

> I maintain my original view point that this latter page is severely out of date.
> Likewise, I still think that accepted DM:s deserve to be mentioned there.
> Being incognito or unofficial to the general public gives an inferior impression.
>
> For some time now I have been living with the serious thought lapse, that
> the weekly "NM Report for Week Ending ..." at "debian-newmaint" would include
> also acceptance reports of new Debian Maintainers, but I have now been proven
> wrong in this naive belief.

dm_list.html is not out of date. I would appreciate it if you actually
put some reasoning behind your claims, considering that the page does
have a footer with an update time.

The script that generates that page merges two datasets: the DM keyring
and the projectb database. The DM keyring is updated by keyring-maint,
and the projectb database is updated with package uploads.

When nm.debian.org has been moved to another machine, the local mirror
of the DM keyring became empty, therefore dm_list.html would only show
data from projectb. Therefore, if you never uploaded any package as DM,
your name would not show there.

Looking at http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mats.andersson@gisladisker.se&comaint=yes
indeed there are no packages marked [DM].

I'll now work on fixing the keyring mirror on nono, because it needs
doing. However, it would not be such a bad idea not to list people in
dm_list.html until they have actually done something as DMs.

The main point of DM is to be able to fix one's bugs (like, for example,
#603926) without needing a sponsor, not to make sure that a name appears
in a webpage.

It is of course fair and right that people's work is acknowledged.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>