Re: Advocating Ralf Schmitt <ralf@bunkertor.net>

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 02:18:45PM +0100, Stephan Sürken wrote:

> Ralf is a long term user and very fond of Debian and, basically, would
> like to give something back to the project.
>
> His initial goal is to add and maintain his own software "volsort" [1]
> as Debian package, but he is also eventually willing to help in other
> ways like bug fixing or helping/taking over orphaned packages.
>
> Ralf is a professional software developer in the Unix/Linux field, and
> has several years experience maintaining Debian packages outside the
> Debian project.

Hello Stephan,

I am happy to hear that Ralf has knowledge and motivation and would like
to become active inside Debian, and I thank him for that.

Please note that advocacy messages should be written based on your
experience working with a person *inside* Debian. Please see:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/05/msg00003.html

There are plenty of ways of getting involved in Debian: for example you
can start with sponsoring his volsort uploads; or there is
mentors.debian.net; one can be added to Alioth projects and become
involved in various groups inside Debian; you can advocate him as a
Debian Maintainer (see http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer) after
you trust that some of his uploads don't need extra review.

Again, please see: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/05/msg00003.html
and http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/11/msg00005.html
("Advocation in the NM process") for details and rationales.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>