Re: Advocating Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>

On 28.02.2010 10:57, NM Front Desk wrote:
> Auth-Key: nmauth2576cb6862e26ef92d5d9b1fa0799a21
> Applicant: Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>
>
> Why do you advocate this person? (please provide a 5-10 line summary).

In October 2009 Giovanni approached me because he took the RFP for
FreeHEP I had opened. I am in need of those for my ITP structorizer, but
was lacking time and java knowledge to do it.
Since then I have been reviewing and sponsoring all of his FreeHEP
uploads, which are currently about a dozen packages.

There were minor issues in his packages which have become even less now.
He's doing a great job and already very active in Debian, furthermore
his interaction with me, comaintainers or submitters in the BTS are kind
and reasonable.
He is also an active member in the Haskell packaging group and the
Debian GIS group, but I am not involved in those parts.

I hereby state my advocacy for Giovanni Mascellani.

> You are encouraged to take questions such as the following into account
> but you're not limited to answering these:
>  - How have they contributed to Debian already?

 * Java packaging group (working on FreeHEP with the target of packaging
geogebra)

My ITP structorizer also needs FreeHEP, that's how I came to sponsor the
uploads.

 * Haskell packaging group
packaging dependencies for happstack, a web application stack, and
gitit, a wiki engine with a GIT backend, built on top of happstack

 * Debian GIS group
working on OpenStreetMap-related tools, josm and osmosis

See also:
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Giovanni+Mascellani&comaint=yes

Most of the packages have very low popcon, because they're just
libraries, not very interesting on themselves.
This should rise when the applications get into debian (geogebra, gitit,
structorizer).

Giovanni has also translated a few wiki pages into Italien, but that is
not his favourite area to work in.

>  - What do they intend to do for Debian in the future?
Continue what he is already doing.

>  - How do they interact with others, such as users and other developers?
Very well in all ways.

Regards,
--
 .''`.   Philipp Huebner <debalance@debian.org>
: :'  :  pgp fp: 6719 25C5 B8CD E74A 5225  3DF9 E5CA 8C49 25E4 205F