Advocating David Bremner <david@tethera.net>

Auth-Key: nmauthb1f69a7735001892ef8663ed6d4e7f5f
Applicant: David Bremner <david@tethera.net>

My first contact with David has happened in February 2008, while he
was seeking for a sponsor of bibutils package.  I became a "dedicated
sponsor" for that (one of a few) package of David, and can say that
I liked working with him: David was always responsive, taking my
advises seriously, and providing corresponding fixes in a timely
matter.  Although bibutils is just a single package, and altogether
our interaction with David was somewhat limited and mostly technical,
from that experience I can state that David has good social skills and
is eager to contribute to Debian.

Altogether, David is maintaining several packages to do with academic
writing
 - sketch
 - bibutils
 - latexdiff
and with mathematical computing
 - lrslib
 - nauty (non-free)
with several more mathematical packages ITP'd and generic utility
packages (e.g. syncevolution and libsynthesis).

He is also experienced to work in a team (co-maintaining highlight
package, working with the pkg-perl team on several packages, nauty is
under Debian Science Maintainers).  David seems to work closely with
upstream (particularly bibutils, sketch, lrslib, and syncevolution) in
getting patches upstream and solving user issues. He is energetic in
working on RC bugs (see e.g. 569626, 566940, 544862) and generally
friendly and efficient. He also reacted and NMUed maxima during the
Lenny freeze, when it looked like it was going to be dropped.

David shared with me his plans to focus on packaging and maintaining
in Debian software for mathematical computing and optimization (linear
programming and related topics).  He is using and advocating the use
of free software (well, nauty is an odd case, but bliss is a free
replacement ITPed) in his work as a professor in CS and thus he is
well motivated to keep those tools in good shape in Debian.

Therefore, I am advocating David Bremner for Debian Developer
position.

With best regards,
Yaroslav

--