Re: AM report for Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org>

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 01:06:59PM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> 1. Identification & Account Data
> --------------------------------
>    First name:      Vagrant
>    Last name:       Cascadian
>    Key fingerprint: 4096R/E3BF6C78 093E 70A1 D8CF 9802 59EB  E043 0304 2BF0 E3BF 6C78
>    Account:         vagrant
>    Forward email:   vagrant@freegeek.org

>    ID check passed, key signed by 2 existing developers:

>    sig!         797EBFAB 2009-07-23  Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.com>
>    sig!         2861A790 2009-07-23  Micah Anderson <micah@riseup.net>

>    Output from keycheck.sh:

>    Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
>    Receiving and checking key
>    gpg: requesting key E3BF6C78 from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
>    pub   4096R/E3BF6C78 2009-07-07 [expires: 2012-07-25]
>          Key fingerprint = 093E 70A1 D8CF 9802 59EB  E043 0304 2BF0 E3BF 6C78
>    uid                  Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org>
>    sig!         797EBFAB 2009-07-23  Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.com>
>    sig!         2861A790 2009-07-23  Micah Anderson <micah@riseup.net>
>    sig!3        E3BF6C78 2009-07-26  Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org>
>    sig!3        E3BF6C78 2009-07-07  Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org>
>    sub   4096R/59A45C4F 2009-07-07 [expires: 2019-07-05]
>    sig!         E3BF6C78 2009-07-07  Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@freegeek.org>

A concern here is that "Vagrant Cascadian" is not (or was not, at last
check) his legal name.  Although he is well known in the Free Software
community, both globally as well as in and around Portland, to the extent
that we rely on the ID check to link DDs back to an identity that can be
held responsible in meat space (criminally or civilly), I think the ID check
is not fulfilling its purpose in this case.

I have a great deal of personal trust in Vagrant's integrity and don't mean
to suggest that giving him upload access would pose any sort of "clear and
imminent danger" to Debian - but I also don't think I can endorse having
Debian /as a project/ accept pseudonymous developers, even if I personally
trust them.

Ultimately this is the DAM's decision, of course; I'm pointing this out here
principally because I know accepting Vagrant as a DD would be inconsistent
with our historical practices regarding pseudonymous developers, and it may
not be obvious to the DAM that Vagrant's name is a pseudonym.