Re: DM application for Erik de Castro Lopo

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 06:47:47PM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to become a Debian Maintainer.
>
> I started using Debian in the year 2000. I am a professional software
> and hardware engineer, with over a decade and a half of professional
> engineering experience. In my current day job I have build over a three
> dozen Debian packages for our inhouse developed software than sits on top
> of a Debian  derived distribution.
>
> I am also the main upstream author and maintainer of two libraries
> already in Debian:
>
>  * libsndfile
>  * libsamplerate
>
> I am pretty happy with current the packaging effort for these two
> libraries and would like to focus my efforts on libraries and applications
> written in the Haskell programming langauge. I feel that these are somewhat
> neglected at the moment.
>
> I already have a two new packages sponsored by Simon Horman.
>
>  * haskell-curl
>  * haskell-bzlib
>
> I agree to the Social Contract, the DFSG and the DMUP.
>
> I have CC'd my sponsors, Matt Palmer and Simon Hormans so that they can
> advocate my application.

Hi,

I have known Erik for a number of years through our mutual involvement in
the communities surrounding the Sydney Linux Users Group (SLUG) and more
recently FP-Syd (Functional Programmers - Sydney).

I believe that Erik has both the technical skills and attention to detail
that are required to become a DM. To cite a particular example, this has
been evident to me in the way he has prepared the haskell-curl and
haskell-bzlib packages which I recently sponsored.

Erik's strong support for free and open source software leads me to believe
that he has a genuine commitment to the Social Contract, DFSG and DMUP and
that as a DM he will uphold those documents both in letter and in spirit.

I wholeheartedly endorse Erik's DM application.