AM report for Daniel Kahn Gillmor

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Daniel
   Last name:       Gillmor
   Key fingerprint: D21739E9
   Account:         dkg
   Forward email:   dkg@fifthhorseman.net

   ID check passed, key signed by 4 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:

   Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
   Receiving and checking key
   pub   4096R/D21739E9 2007-06-02 [expires: 2012-05-31]
         Key fingerprint = 0EE5 BE97 9282 D80B 9F75  40F1 CCD2 ED94 D217 39E9
   uid                  Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
   sig!         1CF2D62A 2007-11-20  Micah Anderson <micah@riseup.net>
   sig!         BE9BF8DA 2007-12-01  Mike O'Connor (stew) <stew@vireo.org>
   sig!         C671257D 2007-12-01  David Moreno <david@axiombox.com>
   sig!         16D970C6 2009-03-09  Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org>
   sig!3        D21739E9 2007-06-02  Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
   uid                  Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@openflows.com>
   uid                  Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@astro.columbia.edu>
   uid                  Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg-debian.org@fifthhorseman.net>
   sig!         1CF2D62A 2007-11-20  Micah Anderson <micah@riseup.net>
   sig!         BE9BF8DA 2007-12-01  Mike O'Connor (stew) <stew@vireo.org>
   sig!         C671257D 2007-12-01  David Moreno <david@axiombox.com>
   sig!         16D970C6 2009-03-09  Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org>
   sig!3        D21739E9 2007-06-02  Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
   uid                  [jpeg image of size 3515]
   sig!         1CF2D62A 2007-11-20  Micah Anderson <micah@riseup.net>
   sig!         BE9BF8DA 2007-12-01  Mike O'Connor (stew) <stew@vireo.org>
   sig!         C671257D 2007-12-01  David Moreno <david@axiombox.com>
   sig!3        D21739E9 2007-06-02  Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
   sub   2048R/4BFA08E4 2008-06-19 [expires: 2009-06-19]
   sig!         D21739E9 2008-06-19  Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
   sub   4096R/21484CFF 2007-06-02 [expires: 2012-05-31]
   sig!         D21739E9 2007-06-02  Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>

   Key is ok
   Check for key expire stuff
   Key has an expiration date of 2009-06-19
   2012-05-31.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:
   I'm 32 years old, living in Brooklyn, NY, USA.  I work as a freelance
   technology advisor, working with NGOs, activist groups, and educational
   institutions to help them understand and control their own
   communications and tools on the global network.

   Most of my life i used proprietary software, from MS-DOS 3 to Solaris to
   Win2k.  Around 2002, i left a job doing software development/research on
   the MS platform due to other changes in my life.  I suddenly had time to
   really play with the various free software options available to me.
   This was shortly after woody released.  Using scavenged hardware, i set
   up a half-dozen machines using all free systems, from the various BSDs
   to several different GNU/Linux distros. Debian's package management was
   an incredible eye opener to me about what was possible for a
   well-managed system, and the more i read about the philosophy behind
   debian, the more i realized it aligned with my values and hopes for what
   these machines are capable of.  I've been using debian as my primary OS
   ever since.

   My work relies heavily on debian at this point, though i also cover
   other free (and non-free) operating system installations.  So i have
   self-interested reasons for wanting to contribute to debian: i want it
   to be a healthy and sophisticated set of tools.  But i also have
   political reasons for wanting to contribute to debian: as a worker in
   information technology, i hope that the efforts i contribute will be
   useful to more than just myself.  If my work does have worth, i want
   that work contributed to systems that are useful to everyone; i'm not
   interested in propping up any of the various groups that want to use
   their tools to create digital fiefdoms or to accumulate centralized
   wealth or power at the expense of the end user.  Debian's commitment to
   software freedom ensures that i'm giving back to the community in a
   useful way.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Daniel has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Daniel committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Daniel has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Daniel maintains several packages, including cereal, faketime and tweak.
   I had a look at some of the packages and they are all in a good shape.
   He also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and was very engaged and quiet successful in fixing RC bugs.

   I absolutely recommend to accept Daniel as a Debian Developer.