AM report for Y Giridhar Appaji Nag

Report for new developer applicant Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <giridhar@appaji.net>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
   Check with keyid 0x1D389887:
   ID check passed, key signed by 6 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:

pub   1024D/1D389887 2006-04-08
      Key fingerprint = 5B6B F223 B769 63E9 E2CB  0A3F E1EB BEA5 1D38 9887
uid                  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <giridhar@appaji.net>
sig!         6A9F3C38 2006-08-08  Ramakrishnan M <rkrishnan@debian.org>
sig!         30825345 2007-08-08  Erik Schanze <schanzi_@gmx.de>
sig!         C0143D2D 2007-12-06  Christian Perrier <bubulle@kheops.homeunix.org>
sig!         29499F61 2007-12-07  Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org>
sig!         D1028C8D 2007-12-12  Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@gmail.com>
sig!3        1D389887 2006-04-08  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <giridhar@appaji.net>
sig!         797E641D 2008-07-11  Ben Pfaff <blp@stanford.edu>
uid                  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <appaji@gmail.com>
sig!3        1D389887 2007-12-19  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <giridhar@appaji.net>
sig!         797E641D 2008-07-11  Ben Pfaff <blp@stanford.edu>
uid                  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <appaji@ibiblio.org>
sig!         6A9F3C38 2006-08-08  Ramakrishnan M <rkrishnan@debian.org>
sig!         30825345 2007-08-08  Erik Schanze <schanzi_@gmx.de>
sig!         C0143D2D 2007-12-06  Christian Perrier <bubulle@kheops.homeunix.org>
sig!         29499F61 2007-12-07  Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org>
sig!         D1028C8D 2007-12-12  Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@gmail.com>
sig!3        1D389887 2006-04-08  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <giridhar@appaji.net>
sig!         797E641D 2008-07-11  Ben Pfaff <blp@stanford.edu>
uid                  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <yganag@users.sf.net>
sig!3        1D389887 2008-04-03  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <giridhar@appaji.net>
sig!         797E641D 2008-07-11  Ben Pfaff <blp@stanford.edu>
uid                  [jpeg image of size 6417]
sig!         6A9F3C38 2007-12-06  Ramakrishnan M <rkrishnan@debian.org>
sig!         29499F61 2007-12-07  Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org>
sig!         D1028C8D 2007-12-12  Kartik Mistry <kartik.mistry@gmail.com>
sig!3        1D389887 2006-08-05  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <giridhar@appaji.net>
sig!         797E641D 2008-07-11  Ben Pfaff <blp@stanford.edu>
sub   2048g/73EAF0B5 2006-04-08
sig!         1D389887 2006-04-08  Y Giridhar Appaji Nag <giridhar@appaji.net>

17 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:

I am 29 years old, born in South India (Bhimadolu village in Andhra
Pradesh).  I was brought up and went to school and college (10 and 2
years respectively in the education system that was followed by those
institutions) in Hyderabad in Andhra Pradesh.  I studied computer
science at IIT Guwahati (in Guwahati, Assam in North East India -- a
very very beautiful but neglected part of India) as an undergraduate
student.

Now I live in Bangalore and write storage software in my day job.  In
the not-so-recent past, I used to work with web caching, internet access
and security software, mobile communication protocol stacks on handsets
(for Bluetooth, GSM, GPRS and UMTS devices).

I like traveling, learning new languages (I am fluent in Telugu, Hindi
and English, and I know bits and pieces of a bunch of other languages),
understanding cultures, photography, watching movies, mixing cocktails,
reading, new food and free software among other things.

It was in 1996 that I came across free software.  I liked it because it
was cheap and understood the 'free' aspects of it only later.  Very few
things are free and priceless at the same time and free software is one
of those.  Initially I used RedHat (a magazine in India distributed it
with their issues often) and Mandrake.  Once at a ilughyd TwinCLinG meet
I got a bunch of potato CDs.  That was when I installed Debian and it
has remained my distribution of choice since then.

My first contribution to Debian was a small news item for the then DWN.
I gradually started reporting bugs with patches for software that I was
using often, and last year I adopted a few packages which were orphaned
but I happened to be using them (I am also the upstream maintainer for
one of those -- axel -- now).  One development in Debian that encouraged
me to contribute more is the concept of DMs.

In Debian, I would like to work on packages related to programming
(Debian and non-Debian, C/C++ and a bit of Python), web and networking
protocols, Digital photography workflows, mobile devices etc.  As I work
more with the project, I will try to contribute to non-packaging teams
like the testing-security team, NM team etc.

   Google says:

Lots of Free-software related, Debian, Ubuntu, Documentation and upstream
work.

Giridhar has a homepage at http://appaji.net/ (see his FOSS page at
http://appaji.net/foss/).

2. Account Data
---------------
   Account: appaji
   Forward-Email: giridhar@appaji.net

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Giridhar has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Giridhar committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Giridhar has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Giridhar is maintainer of axel, elinks, ifplugd, libdaemon, pytagsfs,
   sclapp, splint and xxdiff. He is a Debian Maintainer.
   Giridhar also co-maintains dput (with Thomas Viehmann) and reportbug
   (with Sandro Tosi and Chris Lawrence).
   All of his packages are in excellent shape.

   Giridhar has extensive experience with the BTS and regularly provides
   patches with the bugs he files.
   This page http://appaji.net/debian/nm.html lists a number of packaging
   and documentation patches that he has contributed.
   A sampling of these bug reports has shown that Giridhar has an excellent
   understanding of the Debian policy and that he handles bugs in a
   professional manner.

   He has participated in a BSP and has resolved a good number of RC bugs.

   Giridhar also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems.

   I recommend to accept Giridhar as a Debian Developer.

Francois