Re: Declaration

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Bart Samwel wrote:
> (Note that my GPG key has not yet been signed. I am currently in the
> process of arranging a signing session. I guess that is not a problem
> right now, since this stuff will only be verified once I submit the
> request as a bug report to the debian-maintainers package. Please

I fully support Bart's request to become a DM (since I asked him to do
it). He used to report good bug reports on acpi-support and since I was
looking for someone to take over, I proposed him to help and he accepted.
Since then he has been doing all the work and I simply reviewed and
uploaded.

acpi-support is a demanding package, it regularly gets bug report from
users and in many cases the problem is difficult to reproduce because it
depends on the hardware at hand. Bart did an awesome job of communicating
with the bug reporters to understand the problems and still fix them. The
package is installed by the laptop task so it's a package that many users
have.

The upstream is Ubuntu but they're not very cooperative on the package
since the package is meant to be a set of hacks to make suspend/resume
work on as much hardware as possible and ideally it should be removed one
day in favor of pm-utils. The package really forked between Ubuntu and
Debian but we're still merging their changes in our package on a regular
basis. It's not a pleasant and easy job to do this merge, but Bart managed
to handle this without much problems.

During the last year Bart learnt a lot, I believe he's ready to work
alone on the package.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog