AM report for Vincent Bernat

Report for new developer applicant Vincent Bernat <bernat@luffy.cx>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

pub   1024D/F22A794E 2001-03-23
      Key fingerprint = 5854 AF2B 65B2 0E96 2161  E32B 285B D7A1 F22A 794E
uid                  Vincent Bernat <bernat@luffy.cx>
uid                  Vincent Bernat <bernat@free.fr>
sig!3        E0BA04C1 2005-01-18  Ralf Treinen <treinen@debian.org>
uid                  Vincent Bernat <bernat@parinux.org>
sig!3        E0BA04C1 2005-01-18  Ralf Treinen <treinen@debian.org>
uid                  Vincent Bernat <vbernat@wallix.com>
uid                  Vincent Bernat <Vincent.Bernat@crans.org>
sig!3        E0BA04C1 2005-01-18  Ralf Treinen <treinen@debian.org>
uid                  Vincent Bernat <Vincent.Bernat@ens-cachan.fr>
uid                  Vincent Bernat <vincent.bernat@wanadooportails.com>
sub   1024g/146F6DC3 2001-03-23
sig!         F22A794E 2001-03-23  Vincent Bernat <bernat@luffy.cx>

139 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

Key is signed by Debian Developer Ralf Treinen. I have asked Vincent to try
and get some more DD signatures on his key, which he promised to attempt.

   Applicant writes:

I am using  GNU/Linux since 1997.  I have first  started with SuSE Linux
and kept this distribution until  2001. I have progressively removed any
RPM package to compile everything from sources. I was also using OpenBSD
at the same time (a bit later maybe).

I  was previously using  OS/2 since  1995 and  stopped using  it several
years later because of lack of openness. While OS/2 allowed to run POSIX
programs   through  recompilation,   the   OS  became   less  and   less
maintainable. IBM  was providing some  obscure Java programs  to upgrade
vital  parts  of it  while  still  not  allowing some  basic  networking
functions.  I  really  discovered   free  software  after  switching  to
GNU/Linux.

In  2001, I  graduate to  some French  school and  entered in  the local
non-profit  association that  was providing  network to  residents. They
were using Debian on all the  servers and since I was tired to recompile
everything everyday, I switched to Debian.

The scope  of activity  in this association  was very wide.   We provide
services  like  internet access,  mail,  web  hosting, wireless  network
(using OpenWRT  on WRT54G),  SSH access and  TV broadcast  (multicast in
fact). All the servers were  running Debian, except the wireless gateway
which was running OpenBSD due to some weaknesses in pre-2.6 Linux kernel
for IPsec. On the Debian-side, we were running an official AMD-64 mirror
for Sarge.

I  did organize some  Debian install-parties  with some  conferences. We
once had RMS as guest. ;-)

I am  now working in  a small French  company [Vincent now works at a large
French company - TK] which sells  solutions and support using free software.
Because of the need to deploy a solution on several    servers,   I    worked
harder    on   packaging    and   on debian-installer. Most of our solutions
are based on Debian.

Until  recently, my  only contributions  to Debian  were  bug reporting,
installations  on  machines of  interested  people  and contribution  to
mailing-lists. I  had already packaged  some home stuff but  never found
something that I needed and that was not in Debian. This may explain why
I waited so long before starting NM process.

2. Account Data
---------------

   Account: bernat
   Forward-Email: bernat@luffy.cx

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------

   Vincent has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Vincent has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   He is maintainer of several packages, some in a team-context, some on his
   own, that are in good shape.

   I took him over from Riku Voipio. We did a number of tasks, including
   preparing NMU's for RC bugs and bug triage. He also answered my other
   questions regarding T&S without problems.

   He responds both promptly and accurately to me and other parties he
   interacted with.

   I recommend to accept Vincent Bernat as a Debian Developer.