Re: bits from the DMs/NMs/AMs?

On tisdagen den 4 mars 2008, Paul Wise wrote:
> If you are in NM, a DM, an AM, just having packages sponsored by DDs or
> maybe recently became a DD, I'd love to hear from you.

My AM, Santiago Ruano Rincón (santiago), recently submitted his report to the
DAMs, and I thank him for his work. I think the procedure was relatively
smooth, but I'm getting a bit worried looking at the queue for DAM approval
and the New Maintainers list. The last time a new account (actually, 26
accounts in that batch) was created was on 12 December. Some of the
applicants then had waited almost 6 months for DAM approval after the
completeness check, and then another 1-3 months for the account to be
created. Right now one applicant has waited 8 months for DAM approval, but
that may be due to reasons not documented in the DAM/FD Comments section.

The DAMs are of course very busy and I don't doubt that they are doing their
best processing applications carefully. However, I'm wondering if there might
be reason to change some priorities, considering that getting new Developers
approved as quickly as possibly (without sacrificing quality), hence
increasing manpower, ought to mean time well invested.

Also, I note that by getting as far as being recommended by my AM, I should
fulfil all the requirements of becoming a DM:
* As part of P&P, I have digitally signed a statement that I agree to the
social contract, the DFSG, and the DMUP,
* I have an Advocate and a recommendation by my AM,
* my AM has checked that my PGP key is signed by at least one DD.

therefore I think that everyone who has got to the DAM approval stage should
automatically (or semi-automatically) gain DM status. Earlier steps of the NM
and DM procedures could also be integrated.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se / magnus@kibibyte.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)