AM report for Aurélien GÉRÔME <ag@roxor.cx>

Report for new developer applicant Aurélien GÉRÔME <ag@roxor.cx>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
pub   1024D/65B4B162 2004-12-31
      Key fingerprint = 2FC3 907C 20D9 63EB B234  D023 236C 60C6 65B4 B162
uid                  Aurélien GÉRÔME <ag@roxor.cx>
sig!         5DF03167 2005-02-05  Jérôme Marant <jerome@debian.org>
sig!         6783ED5E 2005-02-08  Frederic Peters <fpeters@entrouvert.com>
sig!         29499F61 2005-02-15  Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org>
sig!         F1BCDB73 2006-02-04  Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
sig!         C0143D2D 2006-07-07  Christian Perrier <bubulle@kheops.homeunix.org>
sig!         A1696D2B 2006-07-07  Laurent Fousse <laurent@komite.net>
sig!         68FD549F 2006-07-07  Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>
sig!         E0BA04C1 2006-07-08  Ralf Treinen <treinen@debian.org>
sig!         F7E8BC63 2006-07-08  Cédric Delfosse <cedric@debian.org>
sig!         797EBFAB 2006-08-18  Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.com>
sig!2        F5D65169 2005-02-04  Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org>
sig!3        2B0920C0 2005-02-02  Loïc Minier (lool) <lool@debian.org>
sig!3        C24B9018 2005-02-02  Niv Sardi-Altivanik (Debian GNU/Linux addict) <xaiki@cxhome.ath.cx>
sig!3        B5444815 2005-02-15  Bill Allombert <ballombe@debian.org>
sig!3        6E8169D2 2006-07-08  Raphael Hertzog <raphael@ouaza.com>
sig!3        65B4B162 2004-12-31  Aurélien GÉRÔME <ag@roxor.cx>
sig!         A1EE761C 2007-02-01  Pierre Habouzit <pierre.habouzit@polytechnique.edu>
sig!         C5C05BAE 2007-02-01  Yves-Alexis Perez (Corsac) <corsac@corsac.net>
sub   2048g/84A5AAFA 2004-12-31
sig!         65B4B162 2004-12-31  Aurélien GÉRÔME <ag@roxor.cx>

46 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I came to GNU/Linux as a programmer in 1998 when I was in first year
of high school. I had no Internet connection at the time which was
rather difficult to learn anything useful. In this era, the region of
France where I live did not have broadband Internet access anyway. It
was only later in 2000 that I got a 56K dial-up connection which
was time-charged.

I finally got ADSL at home in 2001. After having tested several
distributions such as RedHat, Mandrake, and Suse, I stayed with
Slackware some time and then with Debian for quite a while. Finally,
I switched to Linux From Scratch when I discovered it, though I kept
Debian GNU/Linux in a corner. I learnt the basics of Free Software
development and philosophy with LFS. I also played with Debian GNU/Hurd
back then.

At the university in 2002, I realised that LFS was unmaintainable and
non-portable. It is what led me to wonder about package management,
system maintenance, and the necessary infrastructure to perform
them. The university used Debian and I met Julien Blache there who
was already a DD and we became good friends. Therefore I completely
switched to Debian.

This also brought to my attention that there was a lot more to learn,
such as other hardware architectures which the Linux kernel runs
on. Since that time, I fetched several hardware architectures from
dumps and computer surplus. I got almost all Debian architectures,
except ia64 and s390. I bought in 2003 my first and current laptop,
an Apple AlBook 15", which I still use daily.

During these last years, I met Sven Luther at Solutions Linux (the
French Linux Expo event) held in Paris La Défense. Sven is the person
who gave me the motivation to involve myself directly in the Debian
project, in the powerpc port.

My areas of interest have always been around hardware and system
programming, so unless I involved myself in system-related stuff,
I would not be able to do anything funny to contribute in Debian.
It is until recently in 2006 that I decided to take part actively in
Debian when I saw that yaboot was unmaintained.

Since 2004, I help Julien Blache to organise the Debian booth at
Solutions Linux. Julien always wanted to create a French association
to promote Debian in France. That idea came to reality in July 2006
when we founded Debian France of which I am treasurer.

I currently work as sysadmin and developer at a French company which
does embedded hardware engineering and production. I have the good
fortune there to be allowed to spend some time on my Debian activities,
providing they are linked with the current business.

As a DD, there are three major tasks which I would like to accomplish:

  * to maintain the powerpc port in good shape;

  * to maintain a mcf68 port (ColdFire) which proposes a kernel
    emulation layer for the m68k-only opcodes, thus allowing the
    legacy m68k port to run on modern mcf68 hardware;

  * to maintain a sh4 port, providing the kernel of my powerful
    ST devboard is stable enough not to scream at me while natively
    building glibc. :]

2. Account Data
---------------
   Account: ag
   Forward-Email: ag@roxor.cx

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Aurélien GÉRÔME has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures.
   He answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Aurélien GÉRÔME has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Esp. his T&S2 part was outstanding
   He is maintainer of 31 Debian packages in main.
   All packages are in good shape.
   He also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided patches for several RC bugs which i then sponsored for him.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.

--
Martin Zobel-Helas                      GPG Key-ID:    0x5d64f870
Debian Developer                        eMail Privat:  zobel@ftbfs.de