AM report for Kumar Appaiah <kumar.appaiah@gmail.com>

Report for new developer applicant Kumar Appaiah <kumar.appaiah@gmail.com>:

1. Identification & Background
- ------------------------------
   Check with keyid 0x0B5AB4E7:
   ID check passed, key signed by 2 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
   ------------------------

Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
Receiving and checking key
gpg: requesting key 0B5AB4E7 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
pub   1024D/0B5AB4E7 2005-04-13
      Key fingerprint = CFCD 193D E96D 1CE9 27CE  51AB 49DE F96B 0B5A B4E7
uid                  Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in>
sig!         CC453197 2006-10-21  Varun Hiremath <varunhiremath@gmail.com>
sig!         5416E5B8 2007-08-18  Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.res.in>
sig!3        0B5AB4E7 2005-08-03  Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in>
sig!3        0B5AB4E7 2005-08-16  Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in>
uid                  Kumar Appaiah <kumar.appaiah@gmail.com>
sig!         CC453197 2006-10-21  Varun Hiremath <varunhiremath@gmail.com>
sig!         5416E5B8 2007-08-18  Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.res.in>
sig!3        0B5AB4E7 2005-08-18  Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in>
uid                  Kumar Appaiah (Key at
http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~ee03b091/gpg.txt) <akumar@iitm.ac.in>
sig!         CC453197 2006-10-21  Varun Hiremath <varunhiremath@gmail.com>
sig!         5416E5B8 2007-08-18  Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.res.in>
sig!3        0B5AB4E7 2005-04-13  Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in>
sig!3        0B5AB4E7 2005-04-13  Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in>
sub   2048g/8E6C0ABE 2005-04-13
sig!         0B5AB4E7 2005-04-13  Kumar Appaiah <akumar@ee.iitm.ac.in>

18 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:
   -----------------

I started with GNU/Linux in early 2000, when it was catching on with
popularity in India, through various computer magazine CDs. Initially,
I learnt about the command line, configuring X hard way, and finally
getting to know what desktop environments were. Slowly, I learnt how
to read various forms of documentation (like man pages and HOWTOs) and
get things done. When internet became more easily accessible, mailing
lists provided me with the right help to get used to GNU/Linux.

After a brief pause to GNU/Linux (and computer usage, in general), I
came to IIT Madras, where, again, many machines ran some distributions
of GNU/Linux. As time passed on, I discovered that we had a Debian
mirror, and I fiddled around with it for some time, doing a
netinstall, finding my way through the wonderful package management
systems, and trying out various other things.

About three years ago, when I came in touch with Ganesan Rajagopal
(rganesan, a DD), he encouraged me to start contributing to
Debian. Simultaneously, my close friend Varun Hiremath (currently
waiting for DAM to create his account) was also starting to work for
Debian. It is then that I started familiarizing with the Debian
package building tools and the way to create packages for Debian. I
started out with a simple Python module (python-goopy), and learnt a
_lot_ about the procedures, quality requirements and the ways of work
in Debian. I am especially thankful to the Debian Mentors team, since
the mentors.d.net and the debian-mentors mailing list are invaluable
resources for any wannabe Debian packager.

Once that happened, there was no looking back. Whenever I found a nice
free software package that I was using, which Debian didn't have (and
I judge that Debian *should* have), I file an ITP, get comments from
DDs and package it.

Of late, my newer packages are all team maintained. This is because I
strongly believe that working with others is a pleasure since I can
learn a lot from them. That apart, having many eyes look after a
project is always better than just one person caring for it.

I am an electrical engineer by education, though programming has been
my hobby as well as task for quite some time. I tend to use C, C++ and
Python for various tasks, though the first programming language I
learnt was Java. Of course, I keep learning, and know a fair bit more.

My self-assigned tasks as a Debian developer would be the following:

1. Take care of my packages well.
2. Try to be on the lookout to help people maintaining scientific and
mathematical software which I use in Debian.
3. Regularly see if I can produce patches for RC bugs about which I
know something.
4. I have given several talks about GNU/Linux in my LUG. I shall
continue to do my bit to spread the word about what makes Debian
GNU/Linux the universal OS.
5. More.  :-)

Special thanks to all those who encouraged me to apply to Debian, as
well as all the kind DDs who spent time looking at my packages to
check them and upload them to Debian.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
- -----------------------------
   Kumar has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Kumar committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
- -------------------
   Kumar has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   He is maintainer (or co-maintainer) of lots of packages.
   All packages are in good shape.
   He also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided patches for RC bugs.
   Finally he did a great job for the QA tasks he got.

5. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept Kumar Appaiah as a Debian Developer.
   Account: akumar

Luk