Re: Hiding email addresses from spammers on https://nm.debian.org/nmlist.php

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2007, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> > Non-reformatted email addresses should appear just nowhere in my
> > view.
>
> They appear almost everywhere, though. Nothing is stopping spammers
> from subscribing directly to mailing lists (there are some indications
> that they do this).
>
> Frankly, the non-incidental cost of breaking all mailto: links and all
> possibility of copying and pasting far outweighs the possible benifits
> of blocking non-intelligent e-mail harvesting programs. [Not to
> mention that address munging breaks bodies of messages and
> signatures.]

You don't need to break the mailto: links, you can simply replace by a
http:// link without the email and have a mechanism (captcha or whatever)
to get access to the real email...

It's more complicated to implement and it's a bit heavy but we don't
copy-paste emails from public archives that often so that it's a major
nuisance for us.

> This is why I've never bothered to munge addresses on the BTS, and I
> don't plan on applying a patch that does so.
>
> [At the end of the day, spammers are going to get your e-mail address.
> Things like spamassassin, crm114, bogofilter, et al. are quite capable
> of reducing the spam influx to managable levels.]

This is true of Debian developers, but not necessarily true for our
users reporting bugs. It's a pity that they can't report a bug just
because they don't want their email address to be spammed.

And Steffen is not alone with this point of view. Ryan Murray would also
like us to be more serious about that topic for example.

We're getting off-topic for -newmaint though. Please take it to -project
if you reply to my mail. :)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog