AM report for Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin@ens-lyon.org>

Report for new developer applicant Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin@ens-lyon.org>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
   Check with keyid C3DC59FA:
   ID check passed, key signed by two existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
   pub   1024D/C3DC59FA 2003-11-11
         Key fingerprint = 23F1 9445 5C8C B97C 983F  E504 461F 3C17 C3DC 59FA
   uid                  Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin@ens-lyon.org>
   sig!3        AC5F700C 2005-04-25  Julien Cristau <julien.cristau@ens-lyon.org>
   sig!3        6D4FC66F 2005-05-11  Nicolas Boullis <nboullis@debian.org>

   Key is ok
   Check for key expire stuff
   Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:
   I am researcher in computer science lab in Bordeaux (France),
   working on operating systems, networking and clustering stuff.

   I discovered Unix about 8 years in my school where all the common
   machines were running Solaris. I quickly like how the command line
   interface made lots of fun things possible. Thus, I asked some
   older students to install something similar on my personal
   machines. They of course all recommended GNU/Linux. So I started
   playing with shell scripts and C programming at home. Several month
   later, I knew pretty well how to use Linux and tried to learn how
   to administrate it. But, I end up being disappointed by my current
   distribution (it was a Mandrake, poor me :)) and people told me to
   try Debian. 8 years later, I am very happy, I am using and
   administrating 2 servers and 2 laptops running Sarge or testing
   very well. Apart from using Debian for my personal stuff, our
   machines at work (where we do development and experimentations) run
   Debian very well.

   Regarding open-source, I have to admit that I am not very fan of
   political debates about licensing. I am aware of the main
   differences between the major licenses. But, I don't think I will
   ever be part of any legal discussion on debian-legal :) I just like
   the open source philosophy and usually release all my work under
   GPL, because I think this license is the right way to distribute my
   work (even if I actually don't know much all most the minor
   licenses out there that could be similar to the GPL or not).

   I am much more somebody which works on the technical part than on
   the legal part. I like testing, debugging, tweaking, ... things. In
   the last 2 or 3 years, I did most of this in the kernel area. I
   have been pretty active on the Linux kernel mailing list, sending
   minor/trivial patches in the beginning, then working in the network
   drivers and PCI area this year. During the last months, I also did
   a lot of testing on the Xorg side, especially during the 7.1
   transition where I built/tested some xorg, mesa, compiz packages
   and participated a little bit on #debian-x.

   I am the upstream author and Debian maintainer of two packages.
   "lltag" is command line audio file tagger and renamer. "llgal" is
   the online static gallery generator based on igal. Both a small
   programs written in Perl. I will still be working on them, but I
   don't want to concentrate my work on them at all, neither on Perl
   stuff. Maintaining these packages taught me how to package things,
   I learnt things about preinst/postinst scripts, patching, ... lots
   of technical things I'd like to apply to other packages now.

   My primary goal is to make Debian better on the technical side,
   i.e. make Debian work well by packaging things, helping other
   maintainers, fixing bugs, ... I like this distribution, I want it
   to be good. I am not sure which exact packages I will work on. I
   might help the kernel team since my skills are probably pretty good
   there. I might help the XSF team since I like playing with Xorg
   related things. It might also be something related to Gnome since I
   am using this environment :) It will actually probably be other
   things I currently have no idea of, since I guess I will quickly
   learn lots of new things and get interested in new stuff.

2. Account Data
---------------
   Account: bgoglin
   Forward-Email: Brice.Goglin@ens-lyon.org

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Brice has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and
   procedures. He answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and
   DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Brice has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Brice is maintainer of llgal and lltag. All packages are in good
   shape. He also answered my other questions regarding T&S without
   problems and provided patches for RC bugs.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/