AM report for John Wright

Report for new developer applicant John Wright

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
   Check with keyid 1024D/0x7A786561:
   ID check passed, key signed by 2 existing developers:
     - Dann Frazier <dannf@debian.org>
     - LaMont Jones <lamont@debian.org>

   Output from keycheck.sh:

   Applicant writes:

> [...]
   > University.  After I graduate in a couple years, unless a great job offer
   > immediately arrives, I intend to continue studying Physics, although I'm
   > not yet sure whether to stop with an M.S. or to go on to get a Ph.D.
   >
   > When I'm not working, studying, or writing code, I enjoy writing and
   > performing music.  I haven't had much inspiration recently, but my friend
   > Joey Luck and I have a website for our music at http://aitunes.com.  Over
   > the next year, when Joey will be living here, we hope to create an entire
   > collaborated album.  I'm currently rewriting that site using Django to be
   > a bit more scalable (it's already dynamic, using a lot of custom Python,
   > but the design was not very well thought-out).
   >
   > I started using Linux in high school, in 1999.  One of my acquaintances
   > gave me a CheapBytes Red Hat 4.0 CD, so I cut my teeth on one of the
   > poorest (in my opinion) distributions ever released...  Eventually, I
   > switched to Slackware, which was less frustrating, and a couple years
   > later, I discovered Debian.  I was often searching online for the source
   > tarball for some package or other, and would come across lots of
   > packages.debian.org links, so eventually---since it was clear that Debian
   > had all that I needed, and Debian's philosophy meshed with my own---I
   > decided to install Debian.
   >
   > I want to volunteer my time because I believe in free software, and for
   > it to thrive, it needs a good volunteer base.  Thanks to Debian, I have
   > had a high-quality, free operating system for several years, and I would
   > love to see it continue to be a great distribution.  I've been doing a
   > lot of Debian-related work for my employer, and I'd like to do more for
   > Debian itself.
   >
   > Currently, I maintain two packages that, unfortunately, not many people
   > are using.  They are: bibcursed (an ncurses-based BibTeX editor) and
   > joy2key (for converting joystick actions into keyboard actions).  I file
   > bugs on software I use as I run into them, and I contribute patches where
   > I have the ability.  With etch's release date coming up, I plan to track
   > down RC bugs and provide patches where I can.  Being a Debian developer
   > would help especially during release crunch, when an occasional NMU is
   > necessary to keep on schedule (or at least not too far behind
   > schedule...) for a release.
   >
   > Primarily, I'm interested in packaging.  I would like to pick up a few
   > more packages, especially after I become a Debian developer.  (Needing a
   > sponsor to upload a few packages every once in a while is doable, but it
   > could be pretty inconvenient (for both me and my sponsor) for several
   > uploads a week.)
   >
   > I am also interested in release work.  I've automated much of the build,
   > QA, and distribution process for some hardware and telco enablement bits
   > my employer ships on top of Debian; while it seems that this process in
   > Debian is fairly streamlined already, if there is work to be done, I'd

2. Account Data
---------------
    Account: jsw

2a. Advocate writes (Frontdesk and DAM only)
    From: <dannf@debian.org>

    > I met John as an intern for our Debian/release team at HP; he started
    > about a year ago and already had quite a bit of experience as a Debian
    > user. Since then, he has become very familiar with packaging and release
    > management tasks, and is considered an expert on Debian
    > packaging/archive management in our lab. He maintains a couple of
    > packages (bipcursed, joy2key) already - I sponsor the uploads, and I
    > don't recall ever finding an issue when I've reviewed his changes. John
    > has also contributed code to both the piuparts & pbuilder projects. I'm
    > not sure what his plans are for future work within Debian, but I think
    > he would do really well in release/infrastructure performance work.
    > John's has a very friendly personality, is willing to listen and
    > compomise, and is great to work with - he would certainly be a net
    > positive to Debian.

    Dann also acted as sponsor for John's packages.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   John has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures.
   He answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   John has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.  He is
   maintainer of the bibcursed (bibTeX database editor), deb822 (python
   binding to read Packages-type rfc822 files) and joy2key (translate joystick
   movements into keystrokes) packages.  All packages are in good shape.
   He also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided patches for RC bugs.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw              | GPG key: 0644fab7                     |