Re: fresh blood gets congested: long way to become DD

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:03:51 +0100, Thijs Kinkhorst <kink@squirrelmail.org> said:

> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 14:40 -0700, Hubert Chan wrote:
>> I assume FD is a pre-screen, so that they can send back applications
>> that fail on some more obvious criteria.  DAM may need to do more
>> thorough checks.  FD's checks ensure that applications that reach DAM
>> are more ready to be processed, reducing DAM's load by decreasing the
>> number of applications they need to go through.

> This reduction of load would only be effective if the FD-step would
> eliminate over 50% of candidates. Since it takes twice as much
> manpower to double-check, only if the first check will reject more
> than half this construction would save time. I hardly doubt it does.

I believe you also have to take into account the fact that there are
more FD than DAM.  So if 3 FDs (I don't know how many FD we have) each
put one application on hold, that's 3*x hours work reduction for our one
DAM, where x is the number of hours that DAM takes on one application.

> And apart from that, I don't see why the pre-screening couldn't be
> made into a full screening, since as Marc Brockschmidt indicated, one
> FD check can take about two hours. If you spend that much time you can
> be pretty certain you did a thorough check on the person, and the DAM
> shouldn't have to repeat that.

Some questions:
- do the FD and DAM check the exact same things?  If yes, then FD might
  be considered superfluous.  If no, then it is not.
- is FD considered capable of doing a full screening?  (enough
  experience, trustworthy, etc.)

[Please don't Cc: me.  I'm subscribed already.]

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA