AM report for Felipe Augusto van de Wiel <felipe@cathedrallabs.org>

Report for new developer applicant Felipe Augusto van de Wiel
<felipe@cathedrallabs.org>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0x90E5CA46:

   ID Check passed, Key signed by more than 20 existing DD

   Output from keycheck.sh

pub   1024D/90E5CA46 2004-06-04
      Key fingerprint = C2E3 EBF1 F6E8 092F 5526  9A97 0A30 0ED0 90E5 CA46
uid                  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <felipe@cathedrallabs.org>
sig!         F2CF01A8 2005-07-24  Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
sig!         882A6C4B 2005-08-31  Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
sig!         9D1B82F6 2005-11-06  Andre Luis Lopes <andrelop@debian.org>
sig!         1DEB8EAE 2005-12-05  Goedson Teixeira Paixao <goedson@debian.org>
sig!         37155778 2005-12-20  Gustavo Franco <stratus@debian.org>
sig!         4B729625 2006-05-20  Peter Van Eynde <pvaneynd@debian.org>
sig!         29499F61 2006-05-20  Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org>
sig!         6B79D401 2006-05-20  Giunchedi Filippo <filippo@esaurito.net>
sig!         9B7C328D 2006-05-20  Luk Claes <luk@debian.org>
sig!         C671257D 2006-05-20  David Moreno Garza (1984-08-08) <damog@damog.net>
sig!         6FECCDE0 2006-05-20  Santiago Ruano Rincón <santiago@unicauca.edu.co>
sig!         EA59038E 2006-05-20  Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>
sig!         D54F0847 2006-05-20  Mark Shuttleworth <mark@ubuntu.com>
sig!         330C4A75 2006-05-20  Martin F. Krafft <mail@martin-krafft.net>
sig!         4BA401C3 2006-05-20  Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta <agi@inittab.org>
sig!         307D56ED 2006-05-21  Noèl Köthe <noel@debian.org>
sig!         258D8781 2006-05-21  Michael Bramer <michael@debsupport.de>
sig!         6E8169D2 2006-05-21  Raphael Hertzog <raphael@ouaza.com>
sig!         F1BCDB73 2006-05-21  Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
sig!         C0143D2D 2006-05-21  Christian Perrier <bubulle@kheops.homeunix.org>
sig!         B345BDD3 2006-05-22  Neil McGovern <maulkin@halon.org.uk>
sig!         71473F66 2006-05-22  Todd Troxell <ttroxell@debian.org>
sig!         29982E5A 2006-05-24  Steve Langasek <vorlon@dodds.net>
sig!         00D8CD16 2006-05-27  Alexander Schmehl (university) <schmehl@cs.uni-frankfurt.de>
sig!         16D970C6 2006-05-28  Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org>
sig!         808D0FD0 2006-05-29  Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
sig!         8BB527AF 2006-05-31  Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org>
sig!         DD9B9910 2006-06-01  Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
sig!         58510B5A 2006-06-01  Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>
sig!         72D03CB1 2006-06-03  Kenshi Muto <kmuto@debian.org>
sig!         1880283C 2006-06-10  Anibal Monsalve Salazar <anibal@debian.org>
sig!2        5706A4B4 2006-05-21  Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@hogyros.de>
sig!3        797EBFAB 2004-11-06  Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.com>
sig!3        90E5CA46 2005-05-31  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <felipe@cathedrallabs.org>
sig!3        90E5CA46 2004-06-04  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <felipe@cathedrallabs.org>
sig!3        90E5CA46 2005-05-17  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <felipe@cathedrallabs.org>
sub   1024g/BF591D8F 2004-06-04
sig!         90E5CA46 2005-05-31  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <felipe@cathedrallabs.org>

Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:
   -----------------
  My name is Felipe Augusto van de Wiel, I'm 23 years old (born
in December 1982). I work as a System and Network Administrator, it is
my full time job, at night I go to the University, I'm studying
Computer Science at the [1]Federal University of Paraná.

        When I was 11 years old, I won a PC/XT from my uncle, running
DOS 5.0 at that time, I spent the time playing DOS games. My mother
thought that I should have some computer classes and I went to learn
DOS 5.0, DOS 6.22 and Microsoft (tm) Works. After that I had problems
with my computer and I had to learn how to format and reinstall it, at
the same time I found out Gorillas, a game written in QBasic and I
start to play with its source, changing some paramenters to see what
would happen.

        The time goes on and in 1998 I got Internet access at home,
I had an old 386 running Microsoft (tm) Windows 95. In the same year,
I start the Technical High School, focused in Computer and System
Development. I was watching Computer Basic class and my teacher was
speaking about operational systems, he told us about Linux, which he
defined as "the Operational System of the hackers". :-)

        Motivated by my teacher and the interest of "hackers", I start
looking for Linux and won, from the same uncle that gave me the XT, a
book: Programming with Linux, which has Slackware 96 in a yellow CD. I
had a hard time to get it working but I ended up using Conectiva Linux,
which is a Brazilian GNU/Linux Distribution.

        In 2000, I was very interested in Free Software, Open Source,
Linux and my mother encourage me to study it, so I went to have some
Linux Classes in a Conectiva Linux Training Center. At that time,
I start working as a Network Administrator in an Internet Agency,
taking care of Red Hat machines. The Linux Classes end up being very
good because of my Instructors, both have great experience with Unix
and unix-like environments, so I studied the basic of Linux but also
newtork concepts, protocols, services (classic ones like NIS and new
ones like LDAP).

        Two years later, I start to be disappointed with Red Hat Linux
and how the distro start solving a couple of problems, and I really
didn't like the long RPM dependency chain that rarely works. Life is
amazing and I ended up working in the Training Center that I took
classes in 2000, I went to work in the Services Area, taking care of
client servers and lots of them were using Debian. So, I found out
Debian (thanks to my boss at that time, now he is my friend, and when
he told me about Debian he said something like: "you should try Debian,
we use it in some clients, you are probably going to like it". Indeed,
I almost didn't sleep in the first days reading about Debian Project
and studying about it.

        In 2003, I got a new job to take care of some Debian servers.
In the end of 2003, I started the Debian User Group in my state and
start studying about Debian User Groups and Debian involved people
in Brazil. At that time, I already had embraced free software
philosophy, I start advocating it to my friends, family and co-workers.

        When I start thinking about the free software and the volunteers,
I decided that I should try to help in some way, I start studying about
Free Software, tools, people, books and related information. One of the
things that I really like in Debian is the fact of being built only by
volunteers, because of that I decided that I should donate some of my
time to it. Another strong point, was the need for translations in my
country.

        I started contributing to Debian in the social area. The Debian
User Group and efforts to have Debian events in Brazil and to have the
name of the Debian Project where it was possible. After, I found out
that the localization team needs help and start working on it. I studied
other l10n teams in Debian and I push Brazilian Portuguese team to start
using QA translation proccess ([2]pseudo-urls).

        After that, I start contributing to [3]Debian-BR-CDD, a Custom
Debian Distribution, coordinated by Otavio Salvador. I became very
interested in the QA area, start looking packages, checking bugs and
bug reports and also, trying to help to give back to Debian the
improvements we made in Debian-BR-CDD.

        Then Sarge was released and I thought it was time to work with
some packages, I adopted three packages and start working with unofficial
packages in other places (outside Debian). Recently, I thought that would
be time to add my unofficial packages to Debian, so I start preparing then,
but the last couple of months I was busy with translations, DebConf and
other events involving Debian in Brasil, probably I will send my packages
to my sponsor in a near future. :)

        While working with translations, I start looking for areas where
I could help, then I become involved with i18n tasks, and with [4]Volatile
Team. I'm also one of the most active translators/revisors in l10n
portuguese. I became even more interested in QA, i18n and NM. Another area
that I try to work from time to time is the website, not only with
translations, but trying to answer users, adding info to bug reports and
sharing the load of the various website tasks. One of the areas that I
also help is the Debian Women, I worked with the Wiki Translation to
Brazilian Portuguese and I'm also [5]listed as a mentor, and I try to
talk about Debian Women everytime I can and try to convince women to
try Debian and to contact Debian Women people.

        This year, I had the chance to attend DebConf6, I had the
opportunity to speak with QA and NM people, and also work with i18n people
about our future infrastructure/framework. During the DebConf6 I start
helping the DebConf Organization Team and I keep working with them after
DebConf6, I'm helping with the tasks to next conferences.

        I have plans to keep working with translations and to work with
QA, i18n and NM. I'm also very interested in Release area, as a System
and Newtork Administrator, I also would like to help with the Debian
Infrastructure. Another strong point for me, is to help the Debian
Project in Brazil, "spreading the word", helping Debian to be present
in big and important events, helping people to use it, talking about
Debian (giving talks), helping our national user group, and so on... :)

1.http://www.ufpr.br
2.http://people.debian.org/~jfs/debconf6/html/x613.html#pseudo_urls
3.http://cdd.debian.org
4.http://www.us.debian.org/devel/debian-volatile/team