AM report for Hubert Chan

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

pub   1024D/124B61FA 2002-05-13
      Key fingerprint = 96C5 012F 5F74 A5F7 1FF7  5291 AF29 C719 124B 61FA
uid                  Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca>
sig!         78916B84 2002-09-19  Ryan M. Golbeck (Main E-mail Account) <rmgolbeck@uwaterloo.ca>
sig!2        628B8E69 2004-03-13  James Morrison (Well, I wonder if I should stay as fuzzy as I am) <ja2morrison@student.math.uwaterloo.ca>
sig!3        7796A60B 2002-09-19  Simon Law <sfllaw@debian.org>
sub   2048g/BA39FBA2 2002-05-13
sig!         124B61FA 2002-05-13  Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca>

"I am a Ph.D. student in Computer Science at the University of Waterloo
in Ontario, Canada.  I enjoy programming, and am pretty comfortable in
C/C++/Objective-C, Perl (as long as I have my camel book with me), and
am learning Python.  I also do some shell scripting, when I'm forced
to, and I've done some hacking in Emacs lisp.  As for non-computing
interests, I enjoy biking, photography, camping, and playing soccer.

I've been playing with computers for almost as long as I can remember.
I first came to Linux way before Linux 1.0, with the SLS
distribution, which came on about 100 floppies.  At the time, it was
just a toy for me, but I didn't spend much time with it.  I guess my
first real major contact with Free software was with emx, an
environment for OS/2 using the GNU tools, including gcc.  I think it
was around that time that I was entering University, and it was nice
to be able to use the same compiler that they were using at school.
Of course, eventually IBM stopped supporting OS/2, and so I decided to
switch to Linux full time.

I tried a few distributions, and on the recommendation of a friend, I
gave Debian a try when it was time for a reinstall (either because of
a borked hard drive, or new computer -- I forget).  I was impressed
with the ease of package management, the quality of the distribution,
and the openness of the developer and user community.  I started
contributing by answering questions in -user and -laptop, and by
submitting bugs to the BTS (and offering patches or solutions on the
few occasions that I was able to).  I eventually learned how to create
my own packages, and now have a few packages in Debian (hashcash,
asymptote, alsaplayer (co-maintained), the GNUstep core libraries, and
a few other GNUstep things).  My most recent major undertaking was
making the GNUstep packages (more) compliant with the FHS.  I was also
fairly active with the Debian Interest Group at the University of
Waterloo, while it was active, and gave a few talks and helped
administer its machines.

I really enjoy working with Debian and with its developer community,
and I hope that I can help make it a better distribution.  As a DD, my
main focus would be on packaging.  But of course, I would try to
contribute in any other ways that I can -- reporting (and fixing)
bugs, being active on the mailing lists, cooperating with other
Developers, writing documentation, helping users get started."

2. Philosophy and Procedures
----------------------------

Hubert understands Debian's philosophy and procedures.  He agrees with
the Social Contact and the DMUP, has answered questions relating to
philosophy, procedures and tasks/skills, and has been actively involved
in Debian since at least 2003.

3. Tasks and Skills
-------------------

Hubert maintains the following packages and is the co-maintainer of half
of the GNUstep packages... he has been very helpful with various GNUstep
transitions.

affiche
alsaplayer
asymptote
hashcash
pantomime
pdfkit.framework
popplerkit.framework
renaissance

I recommend to accept Hubert as a Debian Developer.

5. Account Information

Account: uhoreg
Forward-Email: hubert@uhoreg.ca

--