Re: Reforming the NM process

Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:
> Lovely, but none of your proposals appear to directly address the major
> problems you identified: applicants stuck waiting for AM assignment, waiting
> for their AM to issue a report, waiting for Front Desk to approve, and
> waiting for DAM approval.

Actually, it does. By weeding out inexperienced NMs before they hit the
process, the number of people going through it is reduced. This shortens
the queue of people waiting for AM assignment (which is getting smaller
right now anyway).
The number of people waiting for an AM report is around 0 and no
relevant problem [1].
The number of people waiting for DAM approval has gone down constantly
in the last 18 months is currently below 10.
The number of people waiting for FD approval is also not high, and the
only reason for a queue there is that I had not much time and didn't
want to invest my (rare, in the last few weeks) free time to approve
applicants when they would be stuck in the DAM queue anyway. As that
queue is almost cleared now, FD approval has moved to the upper regions
of my TODO list again. The queue will be cleared in the near future.

> Combining DAM and front desk would help, certainly; three stages of approval
> is simply ridiculous, particularly when the last two are severe bottlenecks.

DAM approval *was* a bottleneck, but isn't anymore, Joerg is able to
approve more people than are coming in. The FD queue is no bottleneck at
all, see above.

> Perhaps having more advocates could be used as a substitute for portions of
> the tedious and complex process.   To brainstorm, perhaps someone with 10
> advocates should guarantee automatic DAM approval (if they got that far), 20
> advocates would guarantee automatic FD approval (if they got that far), and
> 50 advocates would allow the entire process to be skipped?  :-)

No. That would turn DD-ship into a popularity contest. Thanks, no
interest. Feedback from people who have worked with an applicant is
already considered at the moment, but should not be the only reason to
approve people.

Marc

Footnotes:
[1]  The exception is Thomas Hood, on whose case I won't comment
     anymore. I've already published my opinion.
--
BOFH #375:
Root name servers corrupted.