Re: [debian-newmaint] fresh blood gets congested: long way to become DD

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@debian.org> writes:

> Sorry to say that, but that's not true. *Some* people need three years
> to become a DD, mostly because they don't put enough effort in nagging
> their AM and doing useful stuff. Others need 6 months or something like
> that.

The hard part is really the queue waits.  Once an AM is assigned, one can
start demonstrating one's ability to do developer work to a specific
audience, even if there are delays in that process (although Marc was
incredibly responsive for me and I may well have gotten an unusually quick
AM experience).  There's some sense of things happening and an evaluation
process going on.

The hard parts are waiting for an AM to be assigned, and waiting for the
DAM to approve after AM evaluation is complete.  They're hard because
they're just pure waiting.  There really isn't anything the applicant can
be doing, there isn't any interaction -- it's just a queue waiting for
someone to have time.

I don't think there's a lot that can be done about this apart from finding
more people to volunteer.  It looks like a pure manpower shortage to me.
I suppose one could try to makek the AM evaluation process faster in order
to let AMs process more people, but having just gone through that process
myself, I found the entire thing valuable and can't think of what I'd cut.