Re: Various things

On Friday 22 July 2005 05.00, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> 2) Applicants don't like it because it takes a long time to write all
> those essays

Went through it quite recently, and I must say I didn't find it too onerous.
I just was the absolute minimalist, answering the questions with one-liners
only and trusting my AM to request clarifications and more detail if
necessary (he did so on one or two points.)

Yes, it got me a 'your answers are all a bit on the short side' reproof from
FD, but so what...  I *know* that before I dig into library packages etc.
I'll have to learn quite a bit still, but so far I've just done a few
trivial Perl packages.

Having worked with Debian for a time (4 years or so, IIRC) and followed
development on the mailing lists almost as long was very helpful, and of
course I had to go back to Policy & DR a few times while writing answers,
but I think the key element to me being able to quickly go through P&P and
T&S was to already know most of this stuff, at least from hearsay.

So I say Yay! to Matthews monitoring & mentoring approach: someobdy who
learns Policy and Dev Reference by heart so that he can fill T&S and P&P
probably won't be a good developer and - more important than all skills -
can get by completely missing the culture in Debian.  (I'm serious.  I
consider this a very important point.)  Whereas working closely together
over several months with a long(ish) time DD will pick up both a set of
skills and quite a good bit working knowledge on how to navigate the Debian
urban jungle...

cheers
-- vbi

--