Re: DAM queue progress

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 10:32:02AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> > Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, yeah, sorry, im a *bit* behind my schedule, I know that.
> > > (Its less than one month,  2 days left for a month to be full. :) )
> >
> > I'm wondering why on a couple of places in Debian, including here,
> > key positions are only staffed by one person? You are also a
> > ftp-master, which is a lot of work, especially now. Why is there no
> > backup provided?
>
> In short, because no volunteer with the requisite experience has come
> forward and been approved by the DPL.

Actually, someone with the requisite experience *has* come forward and
*has* been approved by the DPL... and then it was revealed
after-the-fact that the "DAM" role had been retroactively redefined and
his role is only advisory, leaving us all still bottlenecked on the same
single overworked person to complete the account creation process.  We
should have just called the position what it was - "Back Desk" - instead
of giving our NMs the false impression we've actually started resolving
the situation with the bottleneck.

The people who are in a position to help resolve this situation are
unwilling to communicate about the situation or move things forward.
After half a decade, attributing the situation to benign causes such as
"lack of a suitable volunteer" grows a bit hard to swallow.

--
Ivan Kohler
ivan@debian.org