AM report for Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@cs.hmc.edu>

Report for new developer applicant Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@cs.hmc.edu>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
   Check with Keyid 0x1F4986B8:

   ID Check passed, Key signed from 3 existing DDs, Benjamin Hill (mako),
   Bradley Bell (btb) and Matt Taggart (taggart).

   Output from keycheck.sh 0x1F4986B8
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   pub   1024D/1F4986B8 2004-03-13
         Key fingerprint = DEBD A05C 3AA1 87ED 703F  66AE 1981 4D3E 1F49 86B8
   uid                  Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@cs.hmc.edu>
   sig!3        1F4986B8 2004-03-13  Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@cs.hmc.edu>
   sig!2        607559E6 2004-03-26  Benjamin Hill (Mako) <mako@atdot.cc>
   sig!3        E678D1A1 2004-03-26  Bradley Bell (debian) <btb@debian.org>
   sig!2        EA291785 2004-03-26  Matt Taggart <taggart@fc.hp.com>
   [...]
   4 signatures not checked due to missing keys
   Key is ok

   Applicant writes
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   | I recently graduated from Harvey Mudd College (in California) with a
   | major was Computer Science and Mathematics.  I now work as a programmer
   | in a small web development company in Seattle, Washington.  I use Debian
   | GNU/Linux on my desktop computers at home (for myself and my family),
   | and I administer a Debian server for internal use in my office.
   |
   | I have been a Debian user since 1998, shortly after I started college.
   | Before that, I wrote programs for Mac OS and BeOS (a then-new propri-
   | etary operating system developed by a small start-up company).  When the
   | makers of BeOS stopped supporting my hardware platform, and later went
   | out of business completely, I found my programs stranded.
   |
   | I wanted a free platform where my work would not be subject to the fate
   | of a proprietary OS.  I had already been experimenting with Debian, and
   | so I began to use it exclusively.  I also chose Debian because it's
   | portable.  My first Linux computers were PowerPC systems, and it's
   | very valuable to me to run the same software on multiple architectures.
   |
   | While working on an audio-related school project, I began using the
   | Audacity sound editor.  Later I found out that it was written by Dominic
   | Mazzoni, whom I knew from school.  I started working with Dominic and
   | the other upstream authors, and I am now one of the core developers of
   | Audacity.  I also contribute occasional bug fixes and improvements to
   | the other free software that I use most, including Linux, Gnucash, the
   | GNOME desktop, and various Debian packages.
   |
   | Joshua Haberman is also an upstream Audacity author, and was the
   | maintainer of the Debian "audacity" package.  Earlier this year, he told
   | me that he had become less active in Debian development, and was going
   | to look for new maintainers for some of his packages.  I told Josh that
   | I was interested in packaging audacity, and he agreed to be my advocate
   | and sponsor during the New Maintainer process.
   |
   | Most of Audacity's users are not computer experts.  We make great effort
   | to ensure that the program works for people who are new to computers or
   | digital audio.  I want to help make free software accessible to these
   | users too, by working on the documentation, usablity, and integration of
   | the Debian desktop.  I think that this is an important part of meeting
   | the Debian Social Contract's promise to "our users and free software."
   |
   | I currently contribute in small ways to Debian GNOME packaging, via the
   | BTS and the debian-gtk-gnome list.  Later this summer I will be moving
   | to a part-time position at work, and I plan to devote more time to
   | Audacity, Debian, and GNOME.  I will continue to work on improvements
   | to the out-of-box experience for novice or casual users.  I'll also
   | work with the debian-desktop and debian-multimedia groups on overall
   | integration of the operating system.
   |
   | (One example of a small "integration" improvement:  Currently, the
> [...]

   Haberman (habes)).
   He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S without problems.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account:        mbrubeck
   Forward-Email:  mbrubeck@limpet.net

Marc
--