AM Report for Kevin McCarty

Hi

Report for new developer applicant Kevin McCarty <kmccarty@princeton.edu>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0x4F83C751:

   ID Check passed, Key signed from 1 existing DD, Stephen Gran.

   Output from keycheck.sh 0x4F83C751

pub   1024D/4F83C751 2003-12-17
      Key fingerprint = 5AFC 1914 1A2F C632 2A85  AE9B 7D8C 4022 4F83 C751
uid                  Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@princeton.edu>
sig!3        EA59038E 2004-04-25  Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>
sig!3        4F83C751 2003-12-17  Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@princeton.edu>
sig!3        4F83C751 2004-08-26  Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@princeton.edu>
uid                  Kevin B. McCarty <starplot@starplot.org>
sig!3        4F83C751 2004-08-26  Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@princeton.edu>
uid                  Kevin B. McCarty <nboullis-sponsoring-kmccarty@debian.org>
sig!3        4F83C751 2004-11-05  Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@princeton.edu>
sub   1024g/3EFFD324 2003-12-17
sig!         4F83C751 2003-12-17  Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@princeton.edu>

1 signature not checked due to a missing key
Key is ok

   Applicant writes:
--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
I am a fifth-year graduate student.  Specialty is experimental neutrino
physics, although I am thinking of leaving academia after finishing my
degree.  In the course of my thesis work I use Debian GNU/Linux almost
exclusively, both on my laptop and on a small computer cluster for
analysis that I sysadmin for my group.  This has led to some frustration
with the current state of open source physics software [1].  I also have
hobbies ranging from coin collecting to amateur astronomy, as well as
(naturally) programming.  My ongoing Free Software projects include
StarPlot, a 3-D star mapping program [2]; wmapp, a C++ GUI framework for
creating Window Maker "dockapps" [3]; and WMakerConf [4], which I took
over as upstream recently with the blessing of the original author.
Debianizing [5] the huge Cernlib codebase [6] counts as a project of its
own.

[1] http://www.princeton.edu/~kmccarty/physics-software-rant.html
[2] http://www.starplot.org/
[3] http://www.princeton.edu/~kmccarty/wmapp.html
[4] http://www.starplot.org/wmakerconf/
[5] http://borex.princeton.edu/~kmccarty/
[6] http://cern.ch/cernlib/

I wasn't really aware of Linux until I used it regularly (RedHat 5, I
think) while working at an MIT particle accelerator during the summer of
1998.  A friend put my first GNU/Linux installation on my PC (Debian, in
fact!) that fall, my junior year at college.  But I didn't play with it
much until I installed an "easier" distro (Caldera OpenLinux 2) myself
later that year.  Having it rooted by an exploit in the automount daemon
made me more aware of security issues, and when re-installing, I
switched back to Debian, permanently this time.  That was when I really
started to appreciate the Free Software movement.  I've been learning
more about Debian and Free Software ever since.

I want to volunteer my time in order to give something back to the
community: making things work when they are broken (having filed a fair
number of bugs [7], many with patches); dealing with licensing issues
(having convinced the author of cfortran to release it under LGPL [8]);
and improving infrastructure and quality of Free Software, especially
physics-related, so that it works the Right Way(TM).  I confess to also
having the more selfish motives of being recognized as a person one can
turn to for help with Free Software, understanding better how software
works, and enjoying seeing my name in changelogs.

[7]
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=submitter&data=kmccarty%40Princeton.EDU&archive=yes
[8]
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/c/cfortran/cfortran_4.4-5/cfortran.copyright
--8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8---

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Kevin has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. in a good way.

3. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Kevin is Maintainer of cernlib, cfortran and viewglob, all Packages in Debian.
   He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S without problems,
   prepared some bugfix patches, etc.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account: kmccarty
   Forward-Email: kmccarty@princeton.edu

--
bye Joerg
Some NM:
>A developer contacts you and asks you to met for a keysign. What is
>your response and why?
Do you like beer? When do we meet? [...]