Re: Proposed question topics

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:
> 1. debhelper
>    I've found that some applicants don't really understand debhelper
>    very well.  I'd like to add a question that asks what debhelper is,
>    what purposes it serves, what alternatives are available, and how to
>    use it properly (debian/compat, build-depends, ${misc:Depends},
>    basically the stuff covered in
>    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/03/msg00002.html).

Sounds OK.

> 2. version control
>    I can't remember where I wanted to go with this one.  I guess the
>    idea was that applicants should have a basic understanding of
>    cvs/subversion/arch, and maybe should understand the benefits of
>    maintaining packages with version control.

Well, the problem here is that everyone uses his own home-grown system
to manage his source packages, so it will be very tricky to create some
useful questions.

> 3. debconf, ucf
[...]
> 4. debconf notes vs. debian/NEWS
[...]

ACK.

> 5. testing migration
>    How packages migrate to testing, how to diagnose and fix migration
>    problems, and where to ask for help...

Actually, i think question 14 in the new, splitted P&P templates ("There
are many Debian suites [...] How does a package get from one to the
other?") covers a part of this. At least i want to read something about
the testing migration as answer...

> 6. "pristine" tarballs

ACK.

> 7. library packaging
>
>    I'd like to see some more questions about library packaging, since it
>    can be very tricky and many people, including existing developers,
>    make mistakes with it.  In particular sonames, shlibs,
>    ${shlibs:Depends}, dpkg-shlibdeps, and especially proper use of
>    dh_makeshlibs.

NACK. Not all DDs want to package C libs. I've removed the old W3
question (difference between -Bsymbolic and symbol versioning) from my
local templates because of that.

I also had a TODO list somewhere, but i can't find it right now. *sigh*

Marc
--
$_=')(hBCdzVnS})3..0}_$;//::niam/s~=)]3[))_$(rellac(=_$({pam(esrever })e$.)4/3*
)e$(htgnel+23(rhc,"u"(kcapnu ,""nioj ;|_- |/+9-0z-aZ-A|rt~=e$;_$=e${pam tnirp{y