Re: Splitting P&P templates into two

Hi Thaddeus!

Thaddeus H. Black [2005-01-03 16:20 +0000]:
> For my part, I think I spent about 120 hours total on
> all the questions, including assigned practical
> exercises.  I did them in small chunks over four months.
>
> This is just another datum, to those whom it interests.
> Some of the applicants like Jay are probably smarter
> than I am, or have education or professional background
> in computer programming (mine both lie elsewhere).

I don't think that this only depends on the applicant. E. g. I test my
NMs very thoroughly and I'm very picky, so my NMs naturally need more
time to get past me than past another AM.  This does not mean that
other AMs are too sloppy, it's more a matter of personal style.

> Were I asked, I would tend to say that 120 hours of answering
> questions were not too much to expect of an applicant.

I agree; as a DD you are supposed to spend way more time into Debian
work. However, the time spent in NM depends on the experience of the
applicant. In your case you did not yet know everything that you
need as a DD, but after working with you so long I'm now reasonably
confident that you do now. Investing 120 hours in learning and solving
practical exercises (including RC bug fixing and real manpage writing)
is not a waste in my eyes. However, it would be a waste if I wanted an
experienced developer spent 120 hours on theoretical questions he
probably knows very well.

> I would be interested to learn how much time my AM spent
> on my application, incidentally.  I would guess more
> than 16 hours.

This is hard to estimate, but 15 to 20 hours sounds reasonable.

> One further question, just for curiosity.  In your
> experience, who has more overall knowledge in computing:
> the typical computer-science degree holder or the
> typical DD?

As a DD with a computer science diploma (roughly equivalent to a
Master of Science) I must say that this question is too vague. I can
safely say that university CS skills and DD skills are nearly
orthogonal, so the answer to this question depends on what you
understand by "computing". I would not be a worse DD if I would not
have studied CS. OTOH as a degree holding computer scientist you do
lots of interesting stuff that you don't normally come across as a DD.
E. g. my thesis topic was automated formal verification of software
and field bus networks. This has a lot to do with discrete mathematics
and logics (and programming for actually implementing the stuff) and
nothing with Debian packaging and bug handling. But neither is less
important than the other in my eyes, so I don't want to judge on this
question.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de