AM Report for Volker Christian <voc@users.sourceforge.net>

Hi

Report for new developer applicant Volker Christian <voc@users.sourceforge.net>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0x10656584:

   ID Check passed, Key signed from 1 existing DD, Rene Mayrhofer.

   Output from keycheck.sh 0x10656584

pub  1024D/10656584 2003-08-16 Volker Christian <voc@users.sourceforge.net>
     Key fingerprint = 80AB 4164 7CF5 80D0 42C8  89D1 8B6C D060 1065 6584
sig!3       C3C24BDE 2003-08-27   Rene Mayrhofer <rene@mayrhofer.eu.org>
sig!3       10656584 2003-08-16   Volker Christian <voc@users.sourceforge.net>
sub  1024g/B4D218AB 2003-08-16
sig!        10656584 2003-08-16   Volker Christian <voc@users.sourceforge.net>

1 signature not checked due to a missing key
Key is ok

   Applicant writes:
--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
Thats really a long story! I got my first computer nearly 20 years ago. It was
a Sinclair ZX-81 (1 KB-RAM :-). It was fun to play with it and to learn the
basic programming techniques.  My first contact with a computer language was
- of course - BASIC. But soon I also have tried to program this small thing
in machine language. Time goes on and my next computer was a Apple II
(64 KB-RAM, 1 MHz 6502). The native language (built into the Apples ROM) was
again BASIC but I bought two floppy disc drives (160 KB each) which enables
me to learn and use Pascal and the assembler language supported by the Apple
Macro Assembler! I could tell you - this machine was really cool.
After this period i got my first IBM compatible 80286 with MS-DOS 3.3.  It was
a huge step forward concerning memory and speed but coding wasn't fun
anymore. And so i stopped coding until the early 1990s. I have just started
my physics studies. Physicists only use UNIX workstations for their work -
and so i had my first contact with that kind of operating system. I was
totally  fascinated about the concept of UNIX and C - I nearly couldn't stop
to investigate this system. Soon I heard about a free "UNIX" for ix86
architectures - Linux. I saw it at a friends computer and I quickly realized,
that this is the OS of my choice for my home PC. And coding suddenly was fun
again. During my studies i started to support "new media" artists with my
technical knowledge and my knowledge about linux. I realized many exciting
projects in this area with the Austrian broadcasting cooperation (ORF
(http://www.orf.at) and the Ars Electronica Center (http://www.aec.at) which
is one of the world leading new media centers. You can find further
informations about this projects on my present homepage
http://www.soft.uni-linz.ac.at/About_Us/Staff/Christian/index.php
During the years i have tried to replace commercial software as far as
possible with open source software from my desktop. I found that in many
areas open source software is more reliable than commercial software and that
the concepts behind open source software are much more mature than those of
commercial software especially MS software. Around a year ago I noticed a
project called SynCE (http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce) which has the goal
to implement the "ActiveSync" protocol (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/
default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wceactsy/html/ceoriActiveSync.asp) on linux.
Because this project only implements the low-level calls I found that it is
necessary to implement some user-level programs. So i started to code a
application based on KDE and SynCE which I called SynCE-KDE and which should
behave like ActiveSync. The reason that this is a piece of software which - i
belief - is helpful for some people and my political conviction to replace MS
software a widely as possible and third, that i got so much cool software
From the open software community i decided to give something back to the
community. Just now i am working with great effort on the SynCE-KDE
(http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/kde).

But why Debian? I was a Slackware user since my early Linux days. But about a
year ago the last Slackware distribution 8.0 was terribly buggy that i
decided to look for an other distribution with fits in my needs and is
"compatible" with my political conviction. I have tried RedHat, SuSE,
Mandrake and some other - and also Debian. After some time using Debian
I found, that i have missed something till now. It really satisfied me with
its package and release system. So Debian becomes MY new distribution.
If you want to distribute software you also have to think how to do this. As i
am a Debian user it was natural for my to try to support also debian packages
of SynCE-KDE. That is also one of the main reasons why I want to become a
Debian Maintainer - I will be able to support the official debian packages of
SynCE-KDE by myself.
Nevertheless, I also intent to package other peoples software for Debian.

You may publish everything of this short notes!
--8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8---

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Volker has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. in a good way.

3. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Volker is Maintainer of 13 packages in the archive.
   I checked synce-kde and agsync and found the usual stuff, nothing
   bad, he fixed it.
   He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S without problems.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account:  voc
   Forward-Email: voc@soft.uni-linz.ac.at

--
bye Joerg
<Ganneff> kde und tastatur? passt doch nicht mit dem nutzerprofil