AM report for Summary for Lionel Mamane

Summary for Lionel Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu>

Most stuff was done by dopey but I finished up the report because
dopey's probably doped out or something...

Identity
--------

Lionel's key is signed by several Debian developers:

pub  1024D/3E7B4B73 1998-12-02 Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu>
sig!        A1696D2B 2000-11-07   Laurent Fousse <laurent@komite.net>
sig!        969457F0 2001-10-28   Joost van Baal <joostvb@mdcc.cx>
sig!        3F3E6426 2002-03-07   Guido Guenther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
sig!        F5C75256 2002-03-04   Russell Coker <etbe@debian.org>
sig!3       68FD549F 2003-02-12   Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com>

Background
----------

Lionel writes:

"I became involved with the local free software crowd there (mostly
introduced by Joost van Baal). In November 2001, due to the lacking of
any LUG, UUG, BUG or similar group open to anyone (the local
university has a computers enthusiast club (which for all practical
purposes is an Unix users group, in the strictest interpretation of
"Unix": BSD's, Solaris, Ultrix, ..., but no "written-from-scratch"
clone like GNU/Linux or the GNU), but it is open only to students
(maybe staff, too)), Joost van Baal created Enosig, the "Eindhoven
Open Source Interest Group" to serve that purpose.

One year later, noticing that it wasn't going anywhere, I had a chat
with Joost. We agreed that starting immediately, Enosig would stand
for "Eindhoven Free Software Users Group", and I started advertising
it a bit.  My hope was to attract newbies in need of help, which we
did not achieve, but it got us a few more people subscribed to the
mailing list, and an interesting Debian GNU/Hurd install party... We
recently did a "coup", when Bruce Perens was in Eindhoven, and we
organised dinner with him + talk by him."

Philosophy & Procedures
-----------------------

Lionel easily answered the P&P template, and from talking to him at
that Eindhoven Bruce Perens talks a year or so ago I know that he
believes in Free Software.

Tasks & Skills
Baal and Frank Lichtenheld.  I looked at them and they look good.
Lionel has maintained some of them since January 2003 and responds to
bug reports in a good way.

Recommendation

I recommend that Lionel be accepted as a Debian maintainer.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com