AM report for Kilian Krause <kk@verfaction.de>

Report for new developer applicant Kilian Krause <kk@verfaction.de>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0x85FEC17F

   ID Check passed, Key signed from 1 existing DD,
   Thorsten Sauter <tsauter@debian.org>.

   Output from gpg --check-sigs 0x85FEC17F

pub  1024D/85FEC17F 2002-03-19 Kilian Krause <kk@verfaction.de>
sig!3       85FEC17F 2002-03-19   Kilian Krause <kk@verfaction.de>
sig!3       07447252 2003-07-24   Thorsten Sauter <tsauter@gmx.net>
sub  2048g/9937EA8F 2002-03-19
sig!        85FEC17F 2002-03-19   Kilian Krause <kk@verfaction.de>

   Kilian writes:
-------------------------------
>    - self-introduction about yourself and
>      what you intend to do for Debian

what i do for debian is more or less what i already do. i want to help
with the pwlib/openh323/gnomemeeting release and maybe even the -cvs
versions in experimental (to come). Goedson has planned the -cvs in
experimental, but we had no time yet to go any further steps than just
concluding it a good idea ;)
If there's more i need to do than co-maintain (and maybe full-maintain)
these packages, please feel free to propose things to me.
As i'm currently trying to install some buildd system for
gnomemeeting-cvs (which will be cross-distro), i might also help
mid-term or long-term with the buildd or dak/wanna-build stuff - in case
that's needed. Sorry, this is not Debian-specific, but the Debian stuff
only started other distro-users requesting these packages ;) Anyway, the
knowledge derived from non-i386 cvs-building will be ported back into
Debian, which is a not to be underestimated point, imho. So this is
somewhat like a worst-case testing scenario (which will be trying to
implement the debian-source onto all distros taking part in our
cvs-packaging). Last but not least, most of the buildd system will run
debian with a distro-chroot, so this is not that far from debian anyway.
*g*

>    - how you came to Linux and free software,
>      and why you want to volunteer your time.

ehrm, good question. and LOOOONG answer.. i came to linux like 12 years
ago (around that time, give or take a year) and i've moved from a small
home server to a fully featured home network with multiple internet
outposts. so the answer is: i came to linux for a friend gave me a DLD
CD (from delix, who are dead now and were long time ago bought by
RedHat) and he told me i was unable to operate a machine with linux. Ok,
admitted, at the time of 1.2.4 kernels it was a rough time getting a
linux up and running - at least for a teenager who has never had a unix
before; but in the end i succeeded and kept i for i liked the free
spirit from about the first moment on, when i tried to patch things and
make it feel more "home" to me than the default i got from the tarball.

The other answer is: for i love Debian and i personally think it's the
best distro with its principles and the entire philosophy of a free
group doing what they think is best - opposed to a small group
concluding in a gross average "best". This has kept me running Debian
since the first time i had it installed and will accompany me until
there will be no more computers in this world (which i hope will never
happen).
So i'd be happy to help both, the GnomeMeeting Project - whom i think do
a remarkable job and are underestimated for the problems that have to be
solved with pwlib/openh323, which are a pain to package, if not tracked
actively - and of course Debian. The latter i've already helped so far,
but i hope it'll be easier to manage the packages with 2 persons being
able to upload.
-------------------------------

Santiago Garcia Mantinan <manty@debian.org> writes:
-------------------------------
What I can say is that he has been making Debian packages for the cvs
versions of these libs which you can find at snapshots.seconix.com, that
before I had orphaned pwlib/openh323 he was pushing me real hard to upgrade
these libs on Debian so that new versions of GnomeMeeting could be compiled
and could enter sarge, and after Tim adopted the libs Kilian has been the
link in between me and Tim, asking sugestions on the problems they were
finding with the libs and testing things or asking me to test them and then
reporting to Tim and helping him, but I believe that this last part must be
explained by Tim.
-------------------------------

Goedson Teixeira Paixao <goedson@debian.org> writes:
-------------------------------
I'm working with Kilian since he and Tim offered to adopt pwlib and
openh323 for which I'm acting as their sponsor. He's doing a good job
of helping Tim keep these packages in shape and have been very
responsive to bug reports and buildd failures. I believe Tim may talk
more about their cooperation in this work.

He has also been of great help on gnomemeeting's packaging. He has
made gnomemeeting packages available before I started making the
current 0.98.x packages and helped me get the current packages in
shape. He also kept me updated on upstream releases, even making
sources available before the real upstream release. He's playing the
role of an upstream packager for gnomemeeting. And is a very
cooperative one.
-------------------------------

Tim Johann <t1m@phrogstar.de> writes:
-------------------------------
~  I am working together with Kilian on pwlib and openh323, and have to
say that he is of really great help to this.  His knowledge of the
ongoing work on upstream, as well as of maintenance tools and duties is
rather extensive.  This contributed much to our success in adopting the
packages.

~    He's very communicative, knowledgeable and persistent at his work.
I am glad to be working with him.
-------------------------------
(Tim is the maintainer of pwlib/openh323 sponsored through Goedson)

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Kilian shows his good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. in a good way.

3. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   As written in the comments above, Kilian has been working on
   GnomeMeeting as upstream developer and co-maintainer.
   Also he makes experimental debian packages for cvs-version
   of gnomemeeting, pwlib, openh323 to help the work on official
   Debian packages of these softwares. His packages are available
   at http://snapshots.seconix.com/debian.
   He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S.

   I recommend to accept Kilian as a Debian Developer.
   Account:  kilian
   Forward-Email: kk@verfaction.de

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>