Re: AM report for Sebastian Schmidt <yath@yath.eu.org>

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:24:11 +0200
Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org> wrote:

>         Hi!
Hi,

>  yath, Cc'ed you just to be sure you see my reply. I don't want to
>  make
> it secret in any kind.
I am subscribed to -newmaint, but thanks anyway.

> * Domenico Andreoli <cavok@filibusta.crema.unimi.it> [2003-06-24
> 13:53]:
> > What he want to do for Debian is, to make it more convenient for the
> > so-called "end users" - the people who simply want to switch on
> > their computer and read mails.
> >
> > How do he want to do this? For example, in Germany, he see many
> > users despairing of the english messages and manuals. So what he
> > intend to do is to translate some web pages, manuals, software, etc.
> > he already maintain the german translation of penggy (see below),
> > but hopefully he'll find the time to translate more.
>
>  I'm a bit puzzled by that. I don't want to say that yath wouldn't be
>  of
> help -- I have learned to know him as a really helpful person on the
> #debian.de IRC channels. But I can't remember to have been in contact
> with him about translating parts of the web pages; and I'm the
> translation coordinator for the german language website....
>
>  I also don't recall to see his name on the debian-l10n-german
> mailinglist, but that doesn't mean much anyway.
This was just an example what I would gladly do for Debian. I'm a little
busy at the moment (school and such), but this will end in about a week.
BTW: I already did some translations for ddtp, I also updated the German
translation of the Installation Manual (look into [1]boot-floppies CVS).

>  Another thing that is usually asked: What for would he need to be a
>  DD
> to do translation work? There are _lots_ of people out there helping
> with the translation that are not a DD, and they don't need it.
As mentioned above, I want to translate, but this is not the main thing
I applied for. See below for that.

> > Sebastian answered correctly to all the question, he surely knows
> > what he is talking about. He maintains penggy package, it is pretty
> > clean.
>
>  Oh, that for he needs to be DD, sorry then :)
>
>  Please don't take this as any kind of objection -- I'm just quite
> puzzled to read here that he wants to help with the translation
> (especially of the web site) and I haven't heard anything from him in
> that respect. I am quite sure that he will be a plus for the project,
> I just question the reasoning in this mail for the translation he
> intends to do.
The question was what I *want* to do for Debian, I answered what I
*will* do for Debian. As said, I already translated some things. The
fact that I translated the Installation Manual, although I had no time
was that it has to be done until the [2]Linuxtag. I'll finish school
this week, you can be sure I'll contact you. :-)

>  So long,
> Alfie
Sebastian

[1]: http://cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/documentation/de/
[2]: http://www.linuxtag.org/
--
[0] yath@eniac:~$ nc mx.chi.playboy.com smtp
220 mx.chi.playboy.com -- ALL YOUR EMAIL ARE BELONG TO US