AM Report for Romain Francoise

Report for new developer applicant Romain Francoise
<romain@orebokech.com>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

Check with fingerprint 55591CCF071DE5AD3976D6F0A20376BEC03C56DF:

ID Check passed, Key signed by existing DD's Cyril Bouthors
<cyb@debian.org>, Aurelien Beaujean <aure@debian.org>, and Raphael
Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr>, among others.

Output from Joerg's keycheck.sh C03C56DF :

pub  1024D/C03C56DF 2001-05-06 Romain Francoise (orebokech) <romain@orebokech.com>
     Key fingerprint = 5559 1CCF 071D E5AD 3976  D6F0 A203 76BE C03C 56DF
sig!        EAAC62DF 2001-09-29   Cyril Bouthors (Debian project) <cyb@debian.org>
sig!        15E92319 2001-09-29   Aurelien Beaujean <aure@debian.org>
sig!        8BAFCDBD 2001-09-29   Neal H Walfield <neal@gnu.org>
sig!        497A176D 2001-11-23   Loic Dachary (OuoU) <loic@gnu.org>
sig!        6E8169D2 2001-12-20   Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr>
sig!3       C03C56DF 2001-05-06   Romain Francoise (orebokech) <romain@orebokech.com>
sig!3       C03C56DF 2001-05-06   Romain Francoise (orebokech) <romain@orebokech.com>
uid                            Romain Francoise <ore@gnuser.org>
sig!3       C03C56DF 2003-01-17   Romain Francoise (orebokech) <romain@orebokech.com>
uid                            Romain Francoise <romain@sdbdc.org>
sig!3       C03C56DF 2003-01-17   Romain Francoise (orebokech) <romain@orebokech.com>
uid                            Romain Francoise <romain@linuxfr.org>
sig!3       C03C56DF 2001-10-25   Romain Francoise (orebokech) <romain@orebokech.com>
uid                            Romain Francoise <orebokech@linuxfr.org>
sig!        EAAC62DF 2001-09-29   Cyril Bouthors (Debian project) <cyb@debian.org>
sig!        15E92319 2001-09-29   Aurelien Beaujean <aure@debian.org>
sig!        8BAFCDBD 2001-09-29   Neal H Walfield <neal@gnu.org>
sig!        497A176D 2001-11-23   Loic Dachary (OuoU) <loic@gnu.org>
sig!        6E8169D2 2001-12-20   Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr>
sig!3       C03C56DF 2001-08-18   Romain Francoise (orebokech) <romain@orebokech.com>
sub  1024g/FF2006AA 2001-05-06
sig!        C03C56DF 2001-05-06   Romain Francoise (orebokech) <romain@orebokech.com>

Applicant writes:
--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
I'm 22 years old, I live in Lyon, France.  I'll graduate in July from
INSA de Lyon, an engineering school I've been attending for the past 5
years, the last three being a 100% CS course.  After that I'll start
working full time for a network security company here in Lyon, for which
I have been working part-time during the last 18 months, mostly doing
kernel hacking (Linux) and other security-related activities.

My first contact with GNU/Linux was in 1998 during my first year at
INSA, we had a machine free for all students to use and I quickly began
hunting around, out of curiosity, reading docs and learning about the
system.  I first installed GNU/Linux on my home computer in mid 1999
with the help of a friend, and spent a lot of time playing with it.  It
was the then newly released Debian 2.1 (Slink).  In the following
months, I upgraded to the unstable distribution (potato) and broke my
system a fair number of times, but I was hooked by then.

In the following years, I tried almost all GNU/Linux distributions out
there, used FreeBSD for a few months and finally returned to Debian in
late 2001, not for its technical excellency but more for the project's
commitment to Free Software, which (I had learned by then) is the
essential part in the whole GNU and Linux success.  My activities in the
Free Software world include sending patches for software I use (see
#189597, #189605 in the BTS for recent examples), writing documentation
(emacs-w3m's for example), writing buggy Elisp programs, and general
hacktivism (I helped create a LUG at INSA in 1998 and was Secretary in
2001-2002).  All the systems I use at home run Debian, and more and more
systems at work switch to Debian, including a distributed compilation
farm I helped build.

The work I plan to do within Debian mostly consists of maintaining
packages: I already have one package in the Debian archive (tcc),
sponsored by my friend Cyril Bouthors, who is the previous maintainer.
He basically decided to package tcc at my request, and did a good job
with the package but wasn't really interested in it since he wasn't
using tcc at all.  In early 2003 I decided to take over the package and
start the NM process since Cyril didn't have the time to give tcc all
the attention it deserved.  I reworked and improved the package, closing
most of the bugs and working closely with the upstream maintainer, and I
want to continue working on tcc while at the same time gradually package
more software for Debian.  I'd also like to help the release process by
doing NMUs and participating in BSPs, the goal being to have more
frequent releases (several years of reading -devel have taught me that
everyone would like that--I just want to help).

Finally, I want to volunteer my time for Debian simply because I have
been using the system for years and it's time I give something back to
the Project, it's the way Free Software works.  More specifically, as I
have said above, I want to give my time to Debian because I believe in
the values it defends and its commitment to Free Software.

A google search shows that Romain is active on a few Debian and Emacs
mailing lists.