Re: Initial Contact

wrote MJ Ray on 4/17/03 2:23 AM:
Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
I would carefully reconsider whether such a person would make a
worthwhile developer. DDs must, for all practical purposes, be
self-motivated, and driven by a desire to do the job well. *Not* for
recognition. If something that small would cause them to stop trying,
we're probably better off without them; they won't last six months
anyway. We do not have a shortage of MIA developers.

I think the key phrase here is "driven by a desire to do the job well".
Why would they desire that?  What would the payoff be?  Satisfaction.

OK, so the applicants should be the sort of people are motiviated by
satisfaction in a job well done.  Does being sat in a process without
feedback for months on end give any satisfaction? (No.)  Does it
detract from future satisfaction? (Yes.)

Hello,
You are twisting Andrews argument, the applicant's "job" is not the NM application, but his work for Debian.
[...]
Already, some light has been generated, for me
anyway (there seems to be no consistency in the process with lots of
"luck of the draw";there's an evaluation step that doesn't appear on
the status page), and hopefully some more useful things have come from it
(eg the idea of making good AM reports available to other AMs).

Iirc this idea was already presented about two month's ago, there was some talk on this list.

Finally, do you really think it "something that small" that it takes
almost a year for a hold-free NM process in some cases?  If there was
something wrong with my AM report, why did it not get bounced back to
the AM for elucidation?  Are there problems in the available actions,
is there a staffing shortage, or does it really take that long?

I think I've already posted this somewhere: Giving the applicant his login is a very important step, because it allows direct uploads to Debian, and therefore big possibilities for error or even malicity(?). The person who holds the position to actually hand out these accounts needs to be ultimately trusted by the Debian project. Currently we have only one account manager, James Troup, *imvvvvvvvvvvvvvvho* for two reasons:
* most developers think that process works "reasonably well"
* nobody with the same trust level as James Troup has stepped forward and said "I think the NM process needs another DAM, let me do it."

Just for reference: I finished my application about six weeks ago, iirc it took me about five months, but my memory might be wrong.
        cu andreas