Re: Initial Contact

Hi,

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 21:34:18 +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:37:59AM -0000, MJ Ray wrote:

>> The prospective DD is being thoroughly demotivated by the lack of
>> interest that Debian has in their help, generally speaking, I think.
>
> I would carefully reconsider whether such a person would make a
> worthwhile developer. DDs must, for all practical purposes, be
> self-motivated, and driven by a desire to do the job well.

True. But then, the job can be done even better if the new developer can
upload the packages they're responsible for, if they have an entry in the
Debian LDAP others can refer to, ... otherwise, why go through the whole
process in the first place?

The other point I'd like to make here is that said desire to do the job
well should apply to the DAM too. If they are perceived by the DD
community as not doing _anything_ -- well, draw your own conclusions.

--
Matthias