Re: Initial Contact

Hi,

Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > From: Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
> > To: Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org>, Matthias Urlichs <smurf@noris.de>
>
>  Uhm, which mail address, now?

Doesn't matter... I'm trying to switch my not-strictly-work-related stuff
to the smurf.noris.de address, but that needs some cleaning-up.

> And do you like Cc's?

I don't care, personally.

>  By stating explicitly "That's not just the NM's fault." people usually
> imply that you say it's someone elses fault, and NMs shouldn't be made
> responsible.  I like to disagree fundamentally here,

Emphasis on the "just"; of course the NM is the one who made the mistake,
but as one of my favorite authors (Erich Kästner) once said, those people
who don't prevent shit from happening are also responsible for it, not
just those who cause it to happen.

> We are no kindergarden where everyone must be taken by hand, we
> expect from future maintainers that they do what they with a meaning and
> should be able to take responsibility for it.  Otherwise they wouldn't
> make good maintainers, IMNSHO.

I don't disagree with you.

>  Split the t&s part into different ones.  We already have two parts
> there, one for documentation and one for package maintenance.  We really
> seem to need one for AMs, sponsors, and a hint database or similar for
> advocates.

Good idea. I think that the AMs already have something along these lines.
(That document should not be public, else NMs will just copy the
answers...)

>  To word it out what I have implied before:  This was a general rant,
> not one against you personally.  You mail just was the thing that got me
> going :)

OK. Fair enough.
--
Matthias Urlichs    |    noris network AG    |    http://smurf.noris.de/