Re: Work-needing packages report for Jul 11, 2003

Hi!

Am 2003-07-13 11:22 +0100 schrieb Mark Brown:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 08:46:30PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
>
> > IMHO it makes sense to require NMs to do _some_ 'volunteer' work (adopting
> > orphaned packages, fixing RC bugs, whatever else Debian needs).
>
> There's no sense in forcing people to adopt packages they've no interest
> in.  I can't imagine that that's going to give us well maintained
> packages.

But IMHO it does make sense to have NMs to prove that they are able to
improve the existing Debian system, not only to make it grow by adding
new packages; otherwise, the whole distribution would get worse and
worse over time. IMHO it is more important to maintain a high-quality,
but smaller distribution than having a giant one which is in bad
shape.

Thus, requiring NM's to do some improvements is appropriate. As Mark
said, this is not confined to adopting orphaned packages (since quite
many of them are crap^Wobsolete anyway), fixing bugs is much better
IMHO. Other things may include documentation and translation (e. g.
DDTP).

Any comments?

(BTW: I'm an also an applicant, thus had to do the same).

Have a nice Sunday!

Martin
--
Martin Pitt