Re: Emergency contact

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 09:45:22PM +1100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Fairly often, it is not possible to reach a maintainer.  This is
> really bad since we don't know what's up with them.  I thought it
> would be good to have an emergency contact (parents, friends, etc).  I
> think it makes sense to ask for such a contact as part of the AM
> process.  However, note that this should be on a voluntary basis.  The
> applicants don't have to provide an emergency contact if they don't
> want to; but it's certainly recommended that they do.  The information
> should include name, relation to the applicant, email, phone, address,
> and should of course only be included in the private AM report.

> If you think this is a bad idea (even on a voluntary basis), let me
> know.

I think I suggested something of the sort for all developers a while back
on d-private.  When developers disappear without a trace, it would be
nice to at least have closure.

As for when this would be used, I think the rules about going on vacation
are clear enough that being incommunicado for weeks at a time is
sufficient reason to try to get in touch with a missing developer.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer