Re: Skills check for sponsored packages

Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@ist.org> writes:

> * tony mancill <tony@mancill.com> [2002-08-20 21:14]:
> > Asking folks not to use debhelper is silly.  What does it prove?
>
>  It proves that you can help the autobuilders to speed up.

Er, no, no, no, no, no.  Please stop with this "speeding autobuilders
up" bullshit right now.  That's not what the 'build a package without
debhelper'[1] thing is about.  I run slow buildds and I can guarantee
you that debhelper and things like it are not a factor and that not
using them is _not_ helping.  If you want to help autobuilders, go and
fix FTBFS bugs, don't come up with inane ways[2] to try and speed up
package builds.  Even the slowest architectures are sat idle a lot of
the time because CPU time is (as usual) not the problem.  The
problem[3] is broken packages which don't build from source or
otherwise do Bad Things and the work the human maintainers have to do
to deal with that.

--
James

[1] As other have said: it's about ensuring the applicant can do more
    than just run dh-make and that they actually understand what all
    these mini-black-boxes do; personally I think it's a good idea,
    but that's just my (non-DAM) opinion.

[2] See also #157131

[3] And I'm being generous when I say 'problem'; has anyone seen
    http://buildd.debian.org/stats/ lately?