NM page update request

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 10:19:43PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 06:38:41PM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> > > 1. how does one get an advocate?
>
> > The best way is to package a piece of software, and make the packages
> > available somewhere. Apply to be a NM, and post a message to
> > debian-mentors@lists.debian.org asking for a sponsor. A sponsor will
> > take a look at your package and (assuming all goes well) upload them.
> > If they are sufficiently impressed, they will likely be your advocate.
>
> This places the emphasis on packaging software that's not yet in Debian,
> which is wrong, IMHO.  A better answer is that you get an advocate by
> getting involved in Debian development -- by helping tackle some of the
> many open bugs against existing packages, or doing QA work, or adopting
> an orphaned package, or working on the installer, or perhaps by
> packaging useful software that's not yet part of Debian.
>
> Creating new packages is an easy way to demonstrate that one has many of
> the skills required to be a DD, but more is demanded of DDs than just
> raw skill.

[copied to debian-newmaint@lists.debian.org]

Steve, you have a good point here.  Should not we change
http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step1 to match this current practice
so everyone is clear on this subject.  I propose following (Please brash
up my English)

Step 1: Initial Contact

   Anyone can apply to become actively involved with the Debian Project,
   either as a package maintainer or some other way. You can apply to
   obtain debian account by initiating new maintainer (NM) process on
   the NM pages. In order to apply, the applicant must have done some
   preparations already. You need:
     * an existing developer who thinks that the applicant has sufficient
       knowledge to start the New Maintainer process. This developer
       (called an Advocate) can be obtained by getting involved in
       Debian development -- by helping tackle some of the many open
       bugs against existing packages, or doing QA work, or adopting
       an orphaned package, or working on the installer, or perhaps by
       packaging useful software or providing useful and significant
       documentation that's not yet part of Debian.  Creating new
       packages is an easy way to demonstrate that one has many of the
       skills required to be a Debian developer (DD), but more is
       demanded of DDs than just raw skill.
     * After signing up on NM page, this Advocate has to fill out a web
       form and thereby verify the applicant's application (More
       information about the Advocate system can be found in the
       guidelines for advocates).
     * a way to identify himself (preferably by having a GPG key signed by an
       existing Debian Developer or, alternatively, by sending in a photo of
       his drivers license or passport signed digitally with his GPG key)
     * enough experience in order to become an official Debian Developer (the
       preferred way is to have a package sponsored by a Debian developer; of
       course, involvement in other free software projects counts as well).

   Upon receiving the notice of application, the Front Desk will assign
   someone as the Application Manager (AM) for the applicant (i.e. you) as
   soon as someone becomes available to help. All further communication will
   happen between the applicant and their Application Manager, unless of
   course any problems occur.

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract