Re: DAM approval wait time?

Hi

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 11:35:43AM +0200, Oliver Kurth wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 10:17:08AM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > * Joel Baker <lucifer@lightbearer.com> [2002-09-30 16:56]:
> > > The only comment I've gotton (from IRC) was that if you made it onto the
> > > list, don't expect to *ever* be approved - just about nobody has.
> >
> >  Well, if you scan the weekly reports you know that that's not right.
> > It doesn't happen in a floating manner but in rushes.  The differences
> > between those are varying, though.
>
> But there is never a reason mentioned, why some people wait a few days, and
> others for months.
>
> The responsible person should know that there a _people_ waiting, not entries
> in a obscure database. People that would like to contribute to Debian, and that
> should not be discouraged by being simply ignored.
>
> I would accept a long waiting time if I knew the _reasons_. Or I could do
> someting, if I knew _what_. If it would accelerate my approval if more people

There are reasons, see below.

> sign my key (for example), then this wouldn't be a problem. I live in Berlin,
> and there are other DDs here. If it is the number of packages, okay, I can do
> more. Or someting like that. I do not really think these are the reasons, but

This does not help. I you have completed the tests then you are complete
(hopefully).

> I just have no other idea. I really hope it is not laziness, favoritism or
> something like that.
>
> I saw in the archives that a year or so ago, there was a flamewar about this
> on this list. I do not want to start another one. But it seems that _nothing_
> has changed since then.
>
> To summarize: I would appreciate some transparency.

Now to the reason. The reason why no new maintainers have been let
through is that the debian keyring maintainer have been very busy
getting woody released (also ftp-admin). He have now got some help
so things should pass a bit faster now. I saw 8 new become maintains
a week ago, which is a good improvement. Last time I saw new maintainers
was sometime in april (I think).

I do not know but this message might help you too:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2002/debian-devel-announce-200209/msg00006.html

So it is now about laziness or anything. We just have a big problem
with core persons having too much to do. For more information see various
flamewars on other lists.

Regards,

// Ola

> Greetings,
> Oliver
> --
> debian/rules                                       http://zork.net/~nick/srom/

/  opal@debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |