AM Report for Brian Furry

Maintainer.

Background
----------

Brian is a high school math teacher who teaches an AP computer science
course.  He is in the process of getting a debian linux server for the
programming and science students at his school. He says this move is a
struggle with his network admins who "drink the win/novell coolaide".

He says the following also:

<quote>
My advocate camm introduced me to debian linux in the 1.2 days and I was
hooked ever since.  I see linux and opensource software as a great tool
for schools to use industrial grade software in running the
schools computing needs and to help with the teaching of programming and
computer scinece, with out getting soaked financially.

In addition, I feel that students can benefit far greater in their
educational pursuits by using opensource software as well as  learning how
it is clearly the better concept for developing software that
benefits users as well as researchers and developers.
</quote>

He wants to be involved in packaging.

Identification
--------------

Brian provided the following GPG key (attached):

pub  1024D/A5B78201 2002-04-02 Brian R Furry (Trust No One) <fbrian@nac.net>
sig!       A5B78201 2002-04-02  Brian R Furry (Trust No One) <fbrian@nac.net>
sig!       2224FABC 2002-05-21  Eric Sharkey <sharkey@debian.org>
sub  1024g/08A95FAB 2002-04-02 [expires: 2005-04-01]
sig!       A5B78201 2002-04-02  Brian R Furry (Trust No One) <fbrian@nac.net>

pub  1024D/A5B78201 2002-04-02 Brian R Furry (Trust No One) <fbrian@nac.net>
sig!       A5B78201 2002-04-02  Brian R Furry (Trust No One) <fbrian@nac.net>
sig!       2224FABC 2002-05-21  Eric Sharkey <sharkey@debian.org>
sub  1024g/08A95FAB 2002-04-02 [expires: 2005-04-01]
sig!       A5B78201 2002-04-02  Brian R Furry (Trust No One) <fbrian@nac.net>

It is signed by Eric Sharkey whose keys matches what is held in
db.debian.org.

Identification Check Passed

Policy and Procedures
---------------------

Brian and I discussed the Social Contract and the DFSG. He
demonstrated to me that he understands the principles and extent of
these documents, and that he is aware of the responsibilities of a
debian maintainer. He also explicitly agreed to abide by the DMUP. He
also answered some questions on copyrights and licenses to my
satisfaction.

Policy and Procedures Check Passed

Tasks and Skills
----------------

Brian is planning to adopt two packages - seaview and leksbot, both of
which he has updated and is ready to submit. I have looked at these
packages and they looked fine. He has also packaged from scratch (upon
my request to show such skills) paleta (Python All-purpose Log ExporT
Application), a personal log program writen in Python for GNOME. After
a few iterations, the package looks good except for some upstream
bugs. His advocate is Camm Maguire and he has this to say of Brian:

\begin{quote}

> Comment why you advocated this person, 5-10 lines (note: this comment might
> be cited on a public mailing list):

Brian has been involved with the Debian project for several years and
has consistently and independently expanded his knowledge of the OS
and its applications in a wide variety of areas.  He is active in
furthering Debian use in his school, and regularly employs several
features of the system in his daily work as an educator.  Above all,
Brian is committed to the vision of public empowerment which free
software and its development make possible.

\end{quote}

All in all, I think Brian shows the skills necessary to be a debian
developer and will make a good addition to the debian developer
community.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer