AM Report for Tomas Fasth

Maintainer.

Background
----------

Tomas has been developing software for the past 20 years or so. He is
a big fan of GNU software. He co-founded an ISP business startup in
1998, and uses Debian as his platform to run the business. He has
submitted many bug reports and works in his company with Ola Lundquist
another debian developer who actively encouraged Tomas to be a
developer as well. In their company, Euronetics, they use debian in
all their servers, in diskless workstations, and in firewalls. Tomas
knows most programming languages. He wants dearly to contribute back
to the debian "cause" as it is so important for their business.

Identification
--------------

Tomas provided the following GPG key (attached):

pub  1024D/9FE8D504 2001-07-27 Tomas Fasth <tomfa@euronetics.se>
sig!       9FE8D504 2001-07-27  Tomas Fasth <tomfa@euronetics.se>
sig!       0FE53DD9 2001-07-27  Ola Lundqvist <olalu@euronetics.se>
uid                            Tomas Fasth <tomas@euronetics.se>
uid                            Tomas Fasth <tomas.fasth@twinspot.net>
uid                            Tomas Fasth <tomas.fasth@euronetics.se>
uid                            Tomas Fasth <tomfa@twinspot.net>
sig!       9FE8D504 2001-07-27  Tomas Fasth <tomfa@euronetics.se>
sig!       0FE53DD9 2001-07-27  Ola Lundqvist <olalu@euronetics.se>
sub  1024g/D2D26CC5 2001-07-27
[...]

It is signed by Ola Lundquist whose keys matches what is held in
db.debian.org.

Identification Check Passed

Policy and Procedures
---------------------

Tomas and I discussed the Social Contract and the DFSG. He
demonstrated to me that he understands the principles and extent of
these documents, and that he is aware of the responsibilities of a
debian maintainer. He also explicitly agreed to abide by the DMUP. He
also answered some questions on copyrights and licenses to my
satisfaction.

Policy and Procedures Check Passed

Tasks and Skills
----------------

Tomas has prepared a small package called toolwrap (it is a debian
native package), which he wrote himself. Toolwrap is a simple script
wrapper, that is designed for the task of inventing small tools for
specific purposes without the need to re-invent option and argument
parsing. The concept is similar to the 'cvs' program. I looked at the
toolwrap debian package he made. After one iteration of corrections
through lintian, it seems clean. He also intends to package phpwiki,
and a kernel patch and utility for virtual private server
functionality. His advocate is Ola Lundquist and had the following to
say of Tomas:

\begin{quote}

I advocate him because he has long experience in debian and have
contributed a lot over the years. Actually he is the one that
introduced me into Debian (I used redhat before) as an operating
system.

I also work with him and I know that he has some things to contribute
with. First i know that he have lot of thougts about apache and
probably wants to maintain a apache-frontpage that probably wants to
go to contrib.  Some of my packages are corrected by him also.

He also have written a backup administraton script that he wants to
contribute with. I have had in mind to sponsor him first but I do not
want to do that forever so therefore I advocate him. I really wants to
see him involved in the Debian project.

I have identified him, signed his key and also know that he is aware
of the duties of beeing a debian maintainer, socially and practically.
If needed I'll help him out with some of the practical issues.

\end{quote}

All in all, I think Tomas shows all the skills necessary to be a
debian developer and will make an excellent addition to the debian
developer community.

Gopal.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>